Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. Hello from Kelowna, B.C. I am returning to cycling to build fitness after breaking my back a decade ago.

I currently weigh 230 lbs and my goal is to get down to 170 lbs in next 12-18 months thru cycling and better diet. I want a strong, yet light bike that can be modified to become more versatile over time. Because of my back issues, a regular road bike with drop handlebars is out; the riding position is too extreme.

I am considering getting a Niner One 9 29" single speed hardtail mountain bike built up. I like the simplicity of a singlespeed, and feel the first years riding will be mostly in the Okanagan valley, so climbing isn't a big issue.

I like the Niner frame because it can be converted to a geared bike at a future point if I decide to go that route.

My question is about gearing. Is the std 18T cog that comes with Chris King ISO Singlespeed hub a good all around match with 32T chainring and 29" tires, or should I try a 19 or 20T cog instead?

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
On my Huffy I have a 50 chain ring a 20 cog and 26 tire works good for me. If i had a biger tire like a 29 I think it would be to much gear for me

Try www.gear-calculator.com drag the gears where you like and read the Gear inchs don't forget to change tire size below. Have fun it is realy a neat program

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. Hello from Kelowna, B.C. I am returning to cycling to build fitness after breaking my back a decade ago.

I currently weigh 230 lbs and my goal is to get down to 170 lbs in next 12-18 months thru cycling and better diet. I want a strong, yet light bike that can be modified to become more versatile over time. Because of my back issues, a regular road bike with drop handlebars is out; the riding position is too extreme.

I am considering getting a Niner One 9 29" single speed hardtail mountain bike built up. I like the simplicity of a singlespeed, and feel the first years riding will be mostly in the Okanagan valley, so climbing isn't a big issue.

I like the Niner frame because it can be converted to a geared bike at a future point if I decide to go that route.

My question is about gearing. Is the std 18T cog that comes with Chris King ISO Singlespeed hub a good all around match with 32T chainring and 29" tires, or should I try a 19 or 20T cog instead?

kendrab,

I bought a single speed last summer.I't is a Haro Steel Reserve 1.1 and it is a fun ride. It has 26 X 2.3 tires. It has a 25 tooth chain ring, I changed the rear sprocket from 12 teeth to 18 teeth. This moves me about 10 feet per pedal rotation, it is much easier on my knees. ( I have a handful of different sprockets for it) I can change rear sprockets in a few minutes.

I would recommend that you lower your gearing also, the idea is to strengthen you body not destroy it. At 62 years of age my perspective my differ a bunch from yours. BTW, I attempt track stands every time that I ride and I'm getting better and better at it.

Have fun and keep us posted.
BobH.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi Kendrab, welcome to the forum!

I think many people who ride SS 29ers recommend beginners to start with a 20T cog (with a 32T chainring).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts