Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking to build a new "rasta bike" to replace the one I sold years ago. The original bike was an old Bridgestone that I converted. One of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned. I've got enough parts laying around now to start build a newer better one but I need a frame. I have some things in mind but i'm not sure on what's out there currently that will fit my needs since i've been out of the loop for quite a while now. So what i'm looking for is a lugged steel track frame with a 1 1/8 headtube and preferably a 27.2 seatpost. I'm not trying to spend a ton but i'm not looking for super cheap either. Color options are irrelevant since i'll be stripping and painting it anyway. Anyone know of anything that could work for me?

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/van-nes-single-speed

Basically this only in a more currently available and easy to find version. I remember seeing these in the Merry sales catalog back when I still worked in shops. I checked my local craigslist and there's nothing. Ebay has one complete bike that's too big. Who else makes a frame like this?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Get out in the morning on trash day before the "Scrappers". Plenty of free options leaning against trash barrels weekly.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get out in the morning on trash day before the "Scrappers". Plenty of free options leaning against trash barrels weekly.
Not around here there isn't. As unlikely as that scenario already is, it's made more unlikely by the fact i'm looking for something specific for a specific project.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I bet Cinelli makes something like that Van-Nes
Doubt it is at the price the Soma was. Probably pretty spendy to get a lugged track frame these days.
Cinelli, Masi and maybe White Industries or Vanilla bikes is about all I know who would make anything lugged.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just looked at Masi's site and their track frame isn't lugged. Vanilla's website claims they're 2 years out on orders. Cinelli is way more spendy than I want for this build. Though I get the impression the Vanilla stuff is too. It's looking more and more like this is getting added to the extensive and rapidly growing "great ideas that blew up in my face in 2017" list. Lol. I clearly picked the wrong year to quit drinking.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The issue is sadly they are not found affordable.

I think Vanilla bikes are dumb expensive.

Shockingly the lugged Masi frame is a regular road bike.

I will check a few more companies. There is a Canadian one that used to make them. Can't recall the name but will find it from someone.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying to recreate this in a bit more modern of a format. I realized I have almost everything but a frame to build something. I've got a 1 1/8 OCLV fork, a red king headset, Thomson post and stem (if Thomson doesn't screw me on the warranty), a green brooks B17, bar, brake setup, wheels and once I get a bottom bracket for my dura ace arms i'll have whatever comes off of what I put the dura ace on for cranks. And I have the rasta KMC K710. So i'm trying to find a frame that'll work with those parts and that paint job. I make my own vinyl now which I didn't back when I built the original bike so there's a ton more potential there too.

Attachments

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
53-54cm and it doesn't have to be new. Something used in good shape would be plenty fine as i'm going to repaint it anyway. I'm mainly just looking for options that fit my needs at this point.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
It is pretty silly that it seems hardly no one is building a reasonably priced lugged track frame. I will keep my eye out for new and used. You build awesome bikes by the way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.