looking for my first bike:help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Rookie, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Rookie

Rookie Guest

I am located in Portland Oregon and looking to purchase my first bike. I still have yet to get measured so without that precise information I know there is little I can do. I have been looking around and found a couple used bikes that I like, but I know nothing about bikes yet. can some of you more experienced riders please help me out?

I am a beginner with no previous experience but I want a higher quality bike with good components. I don't need the best available, but something that would be considered good quality.

here are the bikes in order of which I would prefer (again size is going to be needed before I can make any progression.

LEADER LD-730 ROAD BIKE

2005 scattante r660 - 54CM

Masi 3VC all-Carbon bike w/Easton EC90 SLX fork, Dura Ace and more!

Any kind of advice or opinions would be helpful. thanks! :thumbsup:

nick

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

How tall are you, and what kind of riding will you be doing?

You'd need to be well over 6ft tall to ride that Leader, which appears to have some ancient components. Shimano 600? Wasn't that Ultegra a jillion years ago?

You'd have to be under 5'10" to fit the Scattante. Think 30" inseam or less. But that would make a decent all around bike. I'd make a lowball offer if it fit.

At less than 16lbs, the Masi, while a sweet ride, would hardly be a good commuter. If you weigh over 170, you're going to test those lightweight components. It's most suited for an inseam over 32". It's probably the best value.

Feel free to provide some more info, or ask questions. And anyone that disagrees with any of my comments, feel free to say so.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

4. Industry_Hack

A bit intimidating for a new cyclist, those links.

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

For a rookie cyclist, I strongly believe that your local bike shop is the best place to start. If you're lucky, you may have several to choose from. Sure, you're gonna pay more there than you will for a used bike or one on the interweb, but it's well worth the extra cash. A good bike shop will be able to make sure that you're getting a bike that suits your needs and most importantly, fits!

If you end up with a poor fitting bike, it really doesn't matter how good a deal you got.

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Welcome to the club! I too am in the market for a new bike. And I would love to buy a sweet bike from Bikesdirect.com but all this talk about fit is driving me crazy! On the one hand, I hear that fitting is a series of mathematical formulas and plumb bobs, and on the other hand, it's personal choice and compromise, race or comfort.

I am 6' 1" and my crouch hieght is 35 inches (bare foot). I emailed BD and asked if the 59cm frame (which has a stand over hieght of 33") would be good for me. They told me it would be good, and then added "but the finial decision would be up to you" (keeping them in the clear, of course). I then stood over my mountain bike (which has a level top tube) and measured it. It was 30 inches. After imagining 3 more inches of height I said to myself I dont think I would like a bike with a top tube that high, so I thought that I would order the 56cm frame (wlth a stand over height of 31.7") and then make the final adjustments in the seat (height + front to rear) and bars/neck (height + front to rear) and I would have the bike of my dreams. But I guess my dreams are shattered now, and I will have to go to a LBS.

My head is spinning:mad:

Mike

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

That actually sounds about right. I'm 6' tall and ride a 57cm road bike, but not all road bikes have the same geometry for a given size.

Stand over is much less of an issue on a road bike as compared to a mtn bike. Frame size and stand over are only two of the many different dimensions that need to be considered. If you have a longer than average torso you may require a bike with more room in the cockpit (longer top tube) and vice versa. Handlebar width needs to be considered. Crank length, IMO not as important as other dimensions, but still worth mentioning.

Once you find a bike that fits right, you need to get is set up. Things like saddle height. Stem height, angle, and length (angle and length are not adjustable, but many good shops will swap stems out as part of fitting a new bike). These are just to name a few.

Buying a bike for the first time can be a daunting task. That's why I always recommend that newbie cyclists go to their LBS. Go to a few if you can. Bike shopping is fun!:)

8. Industry_Hack

Mike, as our resident beer expert pointed out, you need a lot less clearance on a road bike than MTB. Check the length of your top tube in comparison to the road bike you're looking at, then compare that to your riding position.

9. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Keep in mind too that the smaller the frame size, assuming the same length stem, the less upright the riding position will be, because the seat will have to be raised to get it the proper distance from the pedals for your inseam.

10. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Good point, fatandslow. When I was looking to get a new bike, it was recommended to me that if I wanted to go with the latest, carbon-fiber race bike, I should go one size larger to get the upright position that my non-flexible body really needs. But, I went with a Roubaix SL2 which has a taller headtube and fits me great.

If you want to get real serious about it, and live anywhere near one, go to a Serotta dealer that has their fit-cycle. They can basically set up this stationary bike to any configuration, and you can ride the fit numbers, rather than just trusting the numbers the person performing the fit is writing down. By far my best bike fit was from a Serotta dealer using this. I still use those numbers, and they feel great!

11. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I must not be particularly sensitive to fit, as I've been comfortable on bikes sized from 57cm to 62cm, although now that I'm in my dotage I do insist that the bars are at least at the level of the seat, regardless of the tube lengths.

12. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

The sizes listed by manufacturers are measured differently. The geometry of the frame can change the impact of those measurements too. For instance, a frame with a top tube that slopes downward will have an "effective" size larger than a bike with the same nominal size with a horizontal top tube and will also have a lower standover. All of these variables make it very difficult to buy a bike without at least sitting on it. Riding is better. All that said, based on your size, which is abt the same as me, 56cm would seem small for you.

13. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Please tell me if this makes sense to you. To find the right frame size for me, first I looked at the bike I want to buy... (Please take a look)

Road Bikes, Roadbikes - 2010 Motobecane Le Champion SL Ti

...which is a titanium, and (I think), semi compact frame, and then, checked the stand over height on the frame sizes that are available for this bike. 56cm and 59cm (there are smaller sizes but no sizes in between)

The 56cm stand over height is 31.7", and the top tube length is 572mm
    The 59cm stand over height is 33" , and the top tube length is 585mm

I propped a broom stick, level between two tables (as close as I could) first to 31.7", and then straddled the stick. I had clearance between my jewels and the broom stick, and could raise the broom stick up about 4 3/4" and 5" (plenty of room, right, maybe too much) Next I propped the broom stick up to 33" and then straddled the stick. My jewels were MOST DEFINITELY touching the broom stick but I could still raise the stick about 2 ½ to 3". Is that enough room? Or is the 59cm frame too big for me? If I could be sure about this measurement, would I be correct in saying, that the rest of the fitting process should be doable by adjusting the seat up, down, front, and back, and the bars up, down, front and back (possibly, if needed, changing the neck, or head set, whatever its called)?

Today I was looking at a couple of bike repair stands and I asked the salesman if the clamp could clamp to the frame. The salesman said you shouldn’t do that because “it could crack the frame if it was carbon fiber” This only confirmed to me that I DON’T want a carbon fiber frame! I also hear a lot of good things about Ti frames, so I would really like to get this Motobecane Le Champ. It would be the only way I could afford a bike like this!

So if anyone can help with this frame size, I would GREATLY appreciate it!:love:

Thanks so much,
    Mike

14. Industry_Hack

Mike, you should be fine. This is a road bike, not a mountain bike. You're not likely to run into the kind of situation where you're going to be smacking yourself on the top tube. Unless you have a short torso, the 59cm should be a good fit.

And tell them Brian sent you.

15. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

It sounds to me like 59 is it, especially since this bike has a sloping top-tube, which lowers the standover height, since that seems to be your concern with the 59 vs the 56. As Industry Hack said, since this is a road bike, standover height is only an issue if you can't stand over the top tube comfortably at a stop. By the way, that looks like a pretty nice bike. I'm a little envious already and you don't even have it yet.:D

16. Industry_Hack

Mike at Bikesdirect has some pretty sweet deals, but they're not for everyone. The bikes require some assembly and adjustments, which may be off-putting for some cyclists. I got my cross bike from them.

17. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks for the replys, everyone!

Well, it looks like a 59cm is it for me. And thanks for the reminder about the assembly and adjustments. I'm handy by nature, and I think I should be able to do it, plus I think I would like the aspect of maintaining my own bike. Playing it safe though, I did ask a couple of bike shops in my area if they would do the assembly if I needed and they said it would cost about $50 to $70 dollars.

Every bike I've ever owned has always felt a little small for me. I would find myself pushing way back on the seat to get more power. Yesterday I sat on a few road bikes for the first time. One 56 and a 58cm, both of them felt a little big but I think it's because I'm not used to what a road bike feels like. I'm not used to seeing talk thin tires in front of me. The seat on one of them felt like a torture device! I hope I'll be albe to get used to the seat on the new bike.

So I'm looking forward to the whole experiance.

Thanks
    Mike

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

The way you made it sound was that you lost your bike. I was raising a posse then decided to read it. Disaster Averted! for now.

19. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Bad news

I just tried to order the bike I spent so much time reseaching and lo and behold, there seems to be a problem with ordering the correct frame size.

In the frame options box, I chose 59cm, but when I double checked the order in the check out window I noticed that in the description box it said 56cm frame. :confused: Nothing was said about them being out of stock of the 59's. This could have been a huge problem! I then chose every other frame size in the option box and each one showed 56cm frame in the check out window. I dont know what this is all about, but I emailed BK and told them about it. I interested to see what say.

20. Industry_Hack