Looking for new road tires?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Xela, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

For the past several months, I have been running Continental Grand Prix 4000s. These are by far the best road tires I have ever used. My past tires include the Vittoria Open Corsas, Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp, Michelins, and other higher end tires.

The 4000s blows them all away! The ride is as comfortable as the Vittorias which seem to be the benchmark for comfort. However, my experience with the Vittorias has been that they wear quickly. I got as little as 600 to 800 miles out of a set of those. They are very fast tires, and they corner extremely well. And tonight, I tested them in monsoon like conditions and they did great. I have gotten about twice as many miles out of these than expected based on my previous experiences with the Vittoria and Vredestein. Plus, I've ridden these over gravel sections and never even cut the tread. I've never flatted with these either.

So, if anyone is looking for a new road tire, I definitely recommend the 4000s. The "s" designation is important, as Continental also makes a GP 4000 as well.

2. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Thanks for the tip, I've been running the Vittoria Open Corsas and while I've been happy with them, they do wear very quickly.

... I'm still not entirely sure I'd call the ride "comfortable" though :)

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Michelin Pro2 race are great tires as well, unfortunately they have been discontinued :( Seeing as how I'm yet to hear anything nice said about the pro3 races I'm probably going to check out the GP 4000s when the sad day comes where I need to replace my tires.

4. Xela

Forgot to mention that they also have wear indicators that give you a heads up as to when it's getting close to change.

Also, they retail for around $57.

5. Xela

kyoseki, what pressure are you running in those Vittoria's?

6. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

115 psi typically, the sidewalls say 8-10 bar which is 115-145 psi.

Since I'm not the lightest guy, I should probably run them a little higher, but the ride is harsh enough already, certainly on LA streets.

Incidentally, Wiggle sells the tires for $40 each with free delivery to the US on baskets over $83;
    Continental Grand Prix 4000S Tyre Only £27.96

7. Xela

Thought maybe you were running them at max pressure. See that's not the case. That's a great deal on the Conti's!

8. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

To be honest, I'm kind of scared to pump them up much higher :)

Although I might try taking them up a little more just to see if there's any significant effect on rolling resistance, I'm doubting it, but I figure it's not likely to have a significant effect on comfort :)
    Yeah, Wiggle are pretty good, the delivery isn't too slow either, 4-5 days typically.

9. Xela

kyoseki, here is a thread on tire pressures with a good post by camilo. When I was playing with my tire pressures last month, I tried the pressure recommended by the table in his post. I have been running that pressure, or there abouts, ever since.

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f82/tire-pressures-572/

10. clemfan2001

clemfan2001 Guest

I run Maxxis Detinators on my bike. They are pretty great training/long distance tires. But, also while racing, corner very well.

11. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Thanks, I'll give those pressures a shot tomorrow morning, they're high, but still within the pressure range of the tire.

12. Xela

Guess those wear indicators on the GP4000s are there for a reason. My tires are getting pretty low, and I have bought a new pair. I have just been putting off putting them on. Today on my 20 mile lunch loop, I grabbed the brakes to slow down for a turn at an intersection, and I locked up the back tire fairly easily. It caused the rear of the bike to step out on me, but luckily I reacted quickly and just released the brakes and was able to just coast by the intersection, slow down, and turn around. A sliding tire is not a happy tire! Guess I'll change those out tonight.

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

You were lucky.

14. earthstick

earthstick Guest

I have had GP4000 and GP4000S. I changed to ProRace3 recently and I don't think I would ever go back to contis.

I instantly found ProRace3 to be a supiror tyre in every way. First off they are faster. I almost beat my personal best on the first ride and I was alot less fit. I have beaten it now.

Grip is noticably better. I can take a corner at speeds that would leave the conti drifting across the road. While the ProRace3 is like slot car racing.

Third I had a puncture every 20 miles on conti's until I lined them with kevlar tape. The vectran belt in them is I think useless. They should have left it out and saved weight. I have ridden ProRace3 now for 500+ miles and no punctures, not even a cut. Conti cut easily and square off after about 1500 miles. The tyre bead appears to be rolled up in the edge of the tyre kind of like one of those pizzas where the edge of the crust is filled with cheese. After about 1500 miles strands of tyre carcase start coming away from this area. There is plenty of rubber still on them but they are squared off by then. That might be why they are slower. But for puncture resistance alone I would never use them again.

15. Xela

Earthstick, we have had totally different experiences. I put 2000 plus miles on my first set of GP4000s tires. Not a single puncture and no breakdown of the tire. I even rode these several times on gravel. I'm sticking with them. If I had the problems you say you have, I would reconsider, however.

16. hippiebikerchick

hippiebikerchick New Member

road tires

I swear by Bontrager kevlar lined race lite tires. They are reasonably priced, and good on almost any road condition without adding too much weight.
    I have ridden cross country rides of 2,000-3,000 miles without ever getting a flat.

Something else I do which is apparently thought strange is to wipe down and check my tires for nicks, cuts, scratches and embedded objects after every ride. I also don't ride my bike into off the road SAG but instead carry my bike over the shoulder, gravel, road junk etc. or lay it down along the edge.

I average 4,000-5,000 miles on a tire thanks , I tend to believe on vigilant maintenance, and watching the road so I don't ride over junk. Since I am a solo long distance rider, I would rather double check my tires every time I stop than have to change a flat.

Five years of riding and only one flat (which happened when a Texas driver deliberately drove me off the road ) must be proof of doing something right.

Hippiebikerchick

17. bicyclerubber

bicyclerubber Guest

I never thought I would be able to bring myself to recommend bike tyres that cost as much as car tyres, but the TUFO C S3 Lites are something else. Tubular clinchers they call them - inbuilt inner tubes.

super responsive and just all round mint - except the price!

18. opaulb

opaulb Guest

I recommend both the gator skin and grand prix conti's. I also use the thorn resistent inner tubes. My group of riders (5) use conti's and the thorn resistnet tubes, and no one has had any flats.......maybe luck, but we swear by them.

19. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Conti's kick a$$. I have a set of Ultra Gator Skins on my steel frame Bianchi. When I replace them I'm planning on going to the GP4000's.

20. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

What do you do if you have a flat out on the road?