Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Face it...No matter where you live, sometimes there comes times you sit around thinking..Sheesh! Got a holiday coming and there's nothing round here for the family to do. Here's something that quite different. Great food and (free) entertainment. Not to mention some of the nicest biking areas around. From some of the highest/steepest/challenging mountain roads..to very easy going paved bike paths.

A Taste of Colorado - Community Festival, Free Admission, Labor Day Weekend, Downtown Denver, Civic Center Park

http://www.trails.com/city-trails.aspx?keyword=Denver&state=CO

I'm not associated with any promotions of this venue. Just wanted to put out a "Hmmm" thing you/family could do.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is an annual event. Every Labor Day weekend. I go to it every year. They block off a huge area around the state's capital. The majority of local restaurants have booths set up, serving their specialties at greatly reduce prices. Serving up anything/everything from Asian, European, Hawaiian etc. I've seen food that looks like it would make a billy-goat puke. But really wasn't bad. In the past they've had music from Foghat, Grand Funk Railroad and everything in-be-tween. It's really alot of fun. Specially the people..whoa..there's some strange ones out there.:eek::D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Damn! That time of year already? Glad I took off tomorrow - maybe a little less crowded. Two years ago the place was a mad house!

By the way - Sunday we rode the loop (470 to South Platte north into Confluence Park and back down the Cherry Creek trail and across). There is construction on both the South Platte and the Cherry Creek - South Platte is a marked detour on paved areas. The Cherry Creek has 2 dirt sections in the area of the Highline Canal crossing area - Yale/Yosemite as a general area. Rideable - we were all on road bikes - but dirt for about 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yep..Father Time is definitely cruz'n on full afterburner anymore. One of the nicest thing about this event, is.. even though it's held downtown, there always seems to be plenty of grass & shade tree areas to sit off by your lonesome. Even though it can get crazy crowded, there's usually a hiding place, somewhere. Planning on doing the CherryCreek-Golden someday. Realistically!?..probably would barely make it from CC to REI.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, there are a lot of trees downtown; it is fun. Too bad it's supposed to get hot again on Saturday. The last few days have been perfect here.

haha! I rode to Golden a couple weeks ago via C470 trail (rode out of Littleton). Dang near killed me with the climb near the Taj Majal - apparently there is an easier way to go - from REI then west, or down Clear Creek. At least REI has a lot of seating and a Starbucks to rest at :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way - Sunday we rode the loop (470 to South Platte north into Confluence Park and back down the Cherry Creek trail and across). There is construction on both the South Platte and the Cherry Creek - South Platte is a marked detour on paved areas. The Cherry Creek has 2 dirt sections in the area of the Highline Canal crossing area - Yale/Yosemite as a general area. Rideable - we were all on road bikes - but dirt for about 1/4 mile.
Ouch! I could imagine. Have you ever ridden around Chatfield? Wife's got the park pass, thought about going down there sometime. Mainly so my dog can get out and run instead of riding around in the sidecar when she goes with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I ride Chatfield at least once a month. You can't really go all the way around the lake, like Cherry Creek, unless you go over a dirt trail around the east side of the lake. But it's a nice ride, and covers a lot of miles! For the dog park area, you'd have to get off the bikes and walk up there, as there aren't any trails there except for the foot path ones to the little dog lakes. If she likes water, she'll love it down there.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow..what a change. From 100° (Sat & Sun) to the mid 70s Mon...sure doesn't take a brain surgeon which day to go. If you stayed off the main food court and stayed around the outlying areas you were away from the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds (kinda). Cuz..Crowded is Was!! But, what a blast. The food/entertainment was exceptional, once again. Want to talk about 'vendors'? Holy Cow!..This place would make Denver's Flea Market look like a yard sale. If you could imagine it..it was there. The "Four Tops" were slated to play at the main stage this evening, but the wife & I just couldn't make it. Really would have like to see them, as I grew up with that group. But...the concrete main ways took a toll on the bods. Even though I headed for the nearest shade tree quite afew times, I just couldn't shake the strain, this time. Gotta screwed knee and concrete messes with it. Besides, we roamed the area for 7-8hrs and still had to ride home. Yes...we biked. Had some of the best biking weather you could have wished for. Want to thank Bike Denver/Denver Zoo for having a great setup for secured bike parking.

BikeDenver.org

·
Registered
50 Posts
We should have waited! We rode down there on Sunday, and while it was nice on the bikes with the "breeze" blowing on us, to say it was "HOT" down there is an understatement! Super crowded, and too hot for us! We got a handfull of tickets, had some chocolate covered fruit skewers, and headed to the Hard Rock on the mall for a meal before riding home. I can't imagine having spent 7 hrs down there - not on Sunday, anyhow. Lots of interesting people down there :)
Yes, the bike lot was awesome - they did a great job. Think we'll skip Taste of next year - just too crowded. Though, biking to the Rockies Games is always fun, and they have a bike lot, too!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
You guys are making me jealous! And the fact that GABF is next week is just putting it over the top.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL...don't let the 7hr fool ya. Much of it was spent sitting around various places just watching stuff. My only disappointment was when we went to the main culinary stage. Steve's Snapp'n Dogs (one of my favorite places) was putting on a hot dog and ice cream eating contest. I got chosen to compete in the ice cream one. But, standing in line to take my place, some helper grabbed the wrong person. Damn!! I could have won that thing in my sleep. Heck, you only had to finish off a pint. With no time limit. Just whoever finish first. Sheesh..a pint is just a taste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts