Looking to cut gas expenses from my budget commuting to work.

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by TheRK, May 3, 2010.

1. TheRK

TheRK New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post here and I'm pretty new. I sold my some-what BMX bike when I was 16 because I had received my permit. Wrong decision there because I've always loved to ride.

To the point.

I'm 19 now and looking for ways to save money for myself and I realized how much I spend on gas driving to both my jobs. What better way than to completely eliminate gas fees from my budget, and become a healthier being while I'm at it? The distance is something I could easily handle on a bicycle which is why I'm considering buying one. But what kind?

I've google'd key terms, etc. and I've been given vague responses. Simply put my one job is ~1 mile from my house, and my 2nd is maybe ~2.5-3 miles. I'd also like to ride a bike leisurely on my days off (which have become scarce), or simply when I'm not working.
    I've tried looking through craigslist for something not too expensive, but the key words I've been searching seem to point me in the wrong direction. Are there any brands I should be looking for specifically for (from google) road riding? I'm no professional so Top of the line is not a priority. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also looking into the 'rules and regulations' spiel of what to be mindful of while I'm commuting, sharing the road w/ motorists. Really I'm a complete noob about all of this, My apologies lol.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What city do you and live and what is the commute like? Flat? Slight hills, steep grades?

3. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

A good on line resource for riding safely in traffic is Bicycling Street Smarts - Table of Contents

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

What are you going to do in your free time with it? Ride the streets? Hit the trails? Look cool?

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If you want to remain a kid, look for a BMX cruiser with 24" wheels. Of course, that would suck for longer rides, but would be fun for under 5 miles.

6. TheRK

TheRK New Member

No my BMX was just a bike that I simply had. Both commutes have a somewhat steep hill, that is quite out of the way if i wanted to avoid it, but it's not a big deal, it's mostly flat, and on my free time I was just looking to ride it on a trail by the canal following the delaware river. I live in Bucks county PA. Few hills here and there. I'm really just looking for a normal bike I guess for roads for the most part, while riding on some-what paved trails that follow that canal like I said.

'efficiency' and 'dependable' are my priorities as well as 'affordable'

7. TheRK

TheRK New Member

I guess I'm just looking for brands I should generally search for that are relatively cheap, and if i take somewhat good care of it, it will last me for some time.

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I would look at Giant, Trek, and Specialized. They'll probably be the most common. The great thing about bikes is that other than Cannondale, most parts are pretty standard.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would check out your local Pawn Shop. Garage sales too. If your looking to save some money. You may not get exactly what you want but you can usually get something close then modify it.