Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm looking to get a bike, the one I've been planning on is the giant defy 2, haven't had a chance to test ride yet but will when i am ready to buy. The bike shop that i have been going to basically only has giants. I haven't really ridden a bike much since i was
about 14 our 15 (about 16 years ago) when i had fallen off one and broke my jaw pretty bad, so I'm pretty excited to start riding again

I was originally looking at the defy 3 but all the reviews i have read said the extra hundred dollars or so was worth it for the upgrades components.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Have you test ridden it yet? Road bikes are all about fit.
Don't get impressed with how it stops and shifts, the better bikes all do that now-a-days, stop and shift like a dream. It needs to feel good sitting on it, riding it.

Road bikes have changed in the last 16 years. They are lighter, stronger, quicker, more responsive and shift like a dream.
There will also be a bit of a learning curve to it though.

Helmet, bike pants, and pedals too.
(there are road bike specific helmets, no visor)

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Have you test ridden it yet? Road bikes are all about fit.
Don't get impressed with how it stops and shifts, the better bikes all do that now-a-days, stop and shift like a dream. It needs to feel good sitting on it, riding it.

Road bikes have changed in the last 16 years. They are lighter, stronger, quicker, more responsive and shift like a dream.
There will also be a bit of a learning curve to it though.

Helmet, bike pants, and pedals too.
(there are road bike specific helmets, no visor)
Good advice!

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't test rode it but i do plan to, a friend of mine gave me some pedals i just need to get does and cleats

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't base your decision on what the LBS carries. You'll likely be putting many hours and miles on the bike so if you have to drive somewhere else to get a bike that fits better it's worth it.

The success and enjoyment you get from the bike depend, more than anything else, on how the bike fits you. Don't make up your mind until you've actually ridden every option that is realistically available to you.

·
889 Posts
Yeah, don't be afraid to shop around. You don't want to be limited to just one brand when there are so many good ones out there. Not to put anything against Giant, they are a good brand, but you may find another brand/model suites your style/ability/taste etc better. Yes, do splurge on what you want. You will only regret not buying the one you "could have had" because you wanted to save a little money.

That being said, make sure you get properly fitted and don't forget to account for a helmet, good pair of padded shorts, jersey, floor pump, tool kit, patch kit, bottle(s), cage(s), shoes, pedals etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Croppy,
I just jumped into cycling as well. I bought a 2013 giant defy 1 and absolutely love it. I visited about 8 shops and road just about every brand bike in the $1200-$1500 range. I just loved the giant and the way it felt. Fit is important and make sure you like the shop you buy from. I only have about 150 miles on it but so far I am happy with my purchase. Good hunting.

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips, there are two shops real closer to my house, so as soon as i have the cash i will be checking then out, the one shop sells giant and the other carrys Cannondale and Scott. I did look at some trek bikes the other week but i wad out of town so thats not near me now. Hopefully before the end of the month I'll have my new bike, whichever one it may be. I have a pair of pedals that came off my buddies mountain bike.

From what i have read is that all helmets are made to a certain minimum standard, so won't have to spend much on that....hopefully.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't get me wrong I support my local shop, however eBay and Craigslist are a good place to save some money on those other items. Luckily the city I live in has a huge cycling community do Craigslist is a great place to find some new items at not so new prices :) good luck !

·
889 Posts
I'm not sure where you live but cycling season is coming to an end so if you wait a little bit or look around some more you may be able to get a great deal when dealers are trying to sell what they have left for the year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts