Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jkltrek, Oct 25, 2009.

1. jkltrek

jkltrek Guest

Use to ride in college. Have ridden sporadically over the years but startng to ride more regularly again. Have an old Trek with shimano 105, about 20 years old. Looking to make an upgrade, budget 2500-3000K. Live in Florida, pretty flat, not alot of climbing involved. Spoke to a LBS owner who recommended Cannondale Insyte or Orbea Onyx. Looking for any recommendations.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I usally recommend compact gearing, but if you are going to be riding a lot of flat terrain, a manhole size chainring could be just what the Dr. ordered. If you're planing on taking trips to places with some altitude, go compact. Your legs and lungs will thank you.

As for brand and model, I would go with the LBS's recomendation. If you're happy with the shop and trust their advice, go with it. Take both bikes out for a test ride and see which one you like best. If you have more than one bike shop in town, it doesn't hurt to shop around a bit and check out what they have to offer.

Welcome to the site!

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Twenty years ago, Trek was messing with bonded aluminum frames, if my memory hasn't completely failed. They made both steel and aluminum bikes. While something like the 1200 (which I had) was stiffer than steel, I don't recall it being as stiff as today's OS tubing. So the first thing you need to consider is frame material. If you've been riding a 20 year old steel bike, you may not like a modern aluminum frame.

Just my two pesos.

4. jkltrek

jkltrek Guest

Thanks for the feedback. After some research I've settled on a Cannondale. The two modles I'm considering is the 6 Carbon 3 and the Synapse Carbon 3. Does anyone have any experience with either bike. Does the geometry of the Synapse really make the ride more forgiving and does it sacrafice performance in any way. My hearts with the 6 carbon but my brain says go with the Synapse.