Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you have to top off your tires with air?

I found my tires to be super under inflated the other day and I have only been riding for a couple months at most. I think the gauge was at 30 prior to filling.. And I think minimum for my tire is 45 and max is 60.. I found this to be odd.

Losing 30 psi in a couple months? Could it be because I store it in the garage and it has been super hot out?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I usually top off my tires before every ride. My road bike usually looses about 10-15 PSI in a week. It doesn't sound too me like there's anything odd going on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!.. Really!?.. I had no idea..

Well.. I guess your right!.. Not so odd after all!... lol..

I guess when your a kid and you don't pay attention to your parents filling up your tires or just plain don't care about low tires in general, you just don't notice it.. But now that I am a grown up actually riding.. lol.. It surprised me.

Alright.. Good to know!..

:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
What Dubgurl said. I check and top off the air before every ride.

Now that's for my road bike which I keep at 110-115psi. My mountain bike tires which I keep at 30psi don't leak down that quickly.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Pressure drop varies depending on riding conditions, tire pressure, and temperature, but a drop from 60 psi to 30 psi in two months is not unusual.

My tourer has 26 x 1.75 tires with a suggested range of 50 to 80; I run them at 65 to 70 psi and check pressure with gague once a week. They typically have a 5 to 10 psi pressure drop in a week.

My hybrid has 700 x 40 tires with a suggested range of 60 to 80 psi. It, too, will drop 5 to 10 psi in a week, but will drop down to 40 psi if I let it sit for 2 months without pumping up.

It's a good idea to check tire pressure before every ride. It's a good idea to use a gauge every time, but you can get away with leaning as much of your weight on the bike as you observe how far the tires compress. Still ... use a gauge at least once a week to be sure.

·
889 Posts
I keep mine at 120psi and top up avery few days. It's natural for tires to lose a bit of air over time.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If I ride every day, 3 days and I nead some air in the tire.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
I usually check every other ride, I've noticed about a 5 psi loss but that doesn't seem to effect the "feel" of the bike, now a 10 psi loss I can FEEL when riding! FYI, YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts