Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Egging some low back pain only when I stand. Weight lift 5 days a week. What adjustments can I make to help alleviate this? I do wear a pretty good size pack with all my gear and trail kit in it.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Few questions:
1) What are you doing in the gym? 5 days/week is a lot depending on how you split it up.
2) What makes the pain come on?
3) How is your glute strength? Can you hold a single leg bridge without your hams over firing? What about quads/hip flexors?
4) What about flexibility? Can you sit up against a wall at a 90 degree angle without any space between your back and the wall?
5) Can you raise your arms over head without your elbows bending or back arching?
6) Can you single leg squat without your foot rotating flattening out your arch bribing your knee to the middle of your body?
7) Can you hold a plank without your back arching?

Any way you can post some video of you doing a body weight over head squat and light dumbbell deadlift? That will tell us a lot as to what the issue may be.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
INTEGRATE said:
Few questions:
1) What are you doing in the gym? 5 days/week is a lot depending on how you split it up.
2) What makes the pain come on?
3) How is your glute strength? Can you hold a single leg bridge without your hams over firing? What about quads/hip flexors?
4) What about flexibility? Can you sit up against a wall at a 90 degree angle without any space between your back and the wall?
5) Can you raise your arms over head without your elbows bending or back arching?
6) Can you single leg squat without your foot rotating flattening out your arch bribing your knee to the middle of your body?
7) Can you hold a plank without your back arching?

Any way you can post some video of you doing a body weight over head squat and light dumbbell deadlift? That will tell us a lot as to what the issue may be.
1.) my workout is chest tri, back bis, shoulders abs. Legs
2. ) the pain started after I was standing on a steep uphill
3.) I squat 415 for 10, dead 495, leg press 900. I am an athletic trainer, B.S. and M.S in it
4-7.) yes I am in good shape best even since the military.
I really think it has to do with my posture or attack position, I can try and post pics but I don't think it has to do with muscle weakness
The other option would probably be my size and flexibility for my size, just about average flexibility

Thanks for your insight I will try to post some pics

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I'd get rid of the leg press, seated machines dont allow pelvic freedom of motion and put quite a bit sheer forces in the lumbar spine. Plus you get reduced stabilizer recruitment, and until the pain goes away, turning on as much a possible will help.

That's great you can squat and dead as much as you can, there's a good base of strength to work from. What are your thoughts on loaded glute bridges and Bulgarian Split Squats until the pain subsides? What about Trap Bar deads in place of the Oly bar for a while?

can you do kb swings without back pain? I'm thinking working on the hip hinge may help. Can you work in light Turkish Get Ups without discomfort?

If the pain began standing on a hill, something didn't fire the way it should have and your back got aggravated.

Maybe add in standing anti rotation holds or Palloff Presses. Can you do bent over rows to hit the erectors without aggravating the back? Do a YouTube search for Ben Bruno + batwing rows.

I'm guessing you also don't have any disc herniations, degenerations, bulging or annular tearing as well to rule that out as factors.

Without seeing you move, that's what I'm thinking. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Actually, when was the last time you had your cleat/seat position checked?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Have a look at that, it may be something as simple as cleat/seat position.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
How'd it go with the cleat/seat adjustment?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dropped the seat slightly found that I'm not leaning as much. Also got a smaller camelback, I still have some soreness after long technical rides but usually on back lifting days. Thanks for checking in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts