Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have not owned a bike in 20 years and I've never had an expensive one and still don't.
in 1986 I was crushed between two cars and both my legs were crushed and broken. and due to issues from that accident I did not think I was able to physically ride a bike.

My Boyfriend rides often and even has ridden in the last two Rosarito Ensenada bike rides.

Well Memorial day weekend I asked him if he put breaks on an old bike in the garage I'd try to ride it. He did and I did and I've been riding like crazy ever since I even had him buy me a new bike nothing special but it fits me better and with a a new seat and padded bike pants and gloves I've been riding at a minimum 10 miles a day with 30 on the 4th of July.

Now if that is that good progress or not I have no idea. But let me give you a bit of history. when my legs were put back together I had fused bones and lost a major part of my knee rotation. 8 years ago I had total knee replacement. I'm also 46 years old and over weight. when I say over weight I mean I'm in the process of having weight loss surgery. so yeah I'm a big girl.
so basically I'm a broken down over weight 46 year old no knee having person who up until just a couple weeks a go I had no idea of how or when to shift gears what number went to what gear etc.. I knew NOTHING. other than to get on and pedal and not fall over that was my main goal.

but I'm a fast learner and when my bike would not shift and I had no one to help me fix it I just went on line and looked at videos and read and read till I figured out how to adjust my front derailer. and with some hit and miss I fixed it and was back riding again.

When I first rode I could hardly go around the block because my back side hurt so bad from the seat. So I bought a new seat. that took me from around the block to 12 miles down the road. I got my new bike and shorts and gloves and like I said I went 30 miles on the 4th of July my goal was 20 but I got kind of lost and it added another 10 miles to my trip.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the ride in Mexico that is September 24th but I plan on finishing that ride. it is 50 miles long and has a hill that is 2 miles up and rises 800 ft. and other hills I guess? anyway. I am not fast but I am steady I have learned to shift well enough I am able to get up most hills with out to much trouble.
But I still have 11 weeks till the ride and am wondering if I keep up with riding every day should I be able to complete the 50 miles with in 7 hours I did my 30 with in 5 hrs with several short breaks and two long ones. but with in 11 weeks my stamina and speed should improve at least some right?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

also at this point I am unable to stand and pedal as I not have the strength built up yet to do this. I've just been able to stand up while coasting with in the last two weeks. I've tired to stand and peddle but I can't peddle faster than I'm coasting at the moment. :(

well I've rambled on long enough thanks for reading and looking forward to any and all help
thanks very much :)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
You are doing great the more you ride the better and easier it will become oh and welcome to the forum.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you yes the first week I could not even make it over a speed bump and little inclines on the road now i'm actually going up hills :) haha

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The one thing I would tell you is to listen to your body. I'm a gray haired old geezer that had about a 20+ year off a bike, but found I really enjoyed it when I got back on one. Yet I have to listen when my body tells me its not ready for something. With knee replacements its probably even more important. There is a difference though between being sore and being hurt. The natural tendency is to over do it too soon, and I know I did it. Take your time and let the mileage build at your own pace.

As far as the Mexico ride, no way you would get me anywhere near there much less on a bike. I value my hide far more than that. Unless you are from that area and know first hand how safe the region is, be very very careful. Those drug gangs don't play.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You're doing great! As Mark said, listen to your body about how much is too much. With 11 weeks of training you will be far ahead of where you are today. Just remember though, it's supposed to be fun or it's not worth doing. You seem to be enjoying yourself so that shouldn't be a problem.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks yes I enjoy it yeterday I was tired so I only went 5 miles but plan on making up for that later this afternoon. I actually do look to riding and feel so much better when I get back.

like I said I can tell a difference over the last few weeks. but am looking forward to see what I am able to do in September.
and not really worried about going to mexico. this ride has been going on twice a year for many years lots of security and planning go into it.. hundreds of people go on each one. Rosarito Ensenada is the link to the web site.

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Ya know going back when I first got back into riding I was in the same boat a bit over weight myself. It took a few years of a lot of riding but also other thing I did in between that helped a lot was walking. Pick a spot if you have a small hil just do hill climbing laps it worked a great deal for me. As the others have said take rest days and listen to your body. Sounds like you're getting there a lot quicker than I did when I first started riding again. Have fun Good luck with the ride in Mexico

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks and well that's just it walking is not real easy for me . I have a really bad sciatic nerve along with the plastic knee and the other being bone on bone. so walking setting and laying are all very painful for me actually riding my bike is the only thing I've come across that isn't giving me unbearable pain. I rode 3 miles to wal mart about died walking From one end of the store to the other .. but got back on my bike and rode home with no problems .. figure that one out. but I will admit my pain meds and are stay very close :) and I always heard that it takes a lot of muscle to carry a lot of weight around :)
it's crazy I ride and ride but just one trip up and down the stairs here at the house make me want to cry. but I still get out and do what I can as I can. waiting on the sun to go down here in a while so i can go do a few miles but it is up in the 90s and where I plan to go is nothing but corn fileds so won't be able to fill my water bottle often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts