Lowest price for a decent 29er?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by hammockman, Jul 25, 2009.

1. hammockman

hammockman Guest

I'm looking to pick up a used or new 29er for trails and cross country. Any suggestions for brands and models? I'm a 5'11, 250lb, 45 year old guy trying to get back into riding.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Gears or singlespeed? How much do you want to spend?

3. Angelica

Angelica Guest

I'm curious about this as well....

Well, actually my husband is, but I am posting this for him. I'll be the one buying it anyways....:rolleyes:

4. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

expect to spend close to 900 for anything decent in a bike shop, check out the gary fisher cobia.

5. VeloBliss

VeloBliss Guest

I agree that the Gary Fisher - Cobia's are pretty good deals for a 2-9er. If you are interested in a single speed, the Kona Unit 2-9er is a fun ride for the price, but beware, it's rigid!

You can expect to pay about 800 -850 for the Kona and 900-1000 for the Cobia

6. iridesometimes

iridesometimes Guest

you might try an Origin8. They are pretty inexpensive and the ride (with a rigid fork) doesn't seem much different than my fisher. Lower-end components but a solid frame so you can upgrade as desired (or afforded, in my case.. haha)

7. oldbiker

oldbiker New Member

I'm 52 and just getting back to biking. Just got a new Specialized Hardrock Sport, 29" tires, disc brakes, front fork, $600. I chose this bike rather than a hybrid because roads around my farm are about half paved, half gravel, and the wider tires handle the gravel roads well.

So far, I'm quite pleased. It is worth a test ride.

Like I said, I'm just getting back to biking frequently but for my middle-aged body, this bike seems to do just fine for me.

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Do do it! 29er's are the most deviously conceived Communist plot since the fluoridation of water!

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Uh I thinks he means don't do it. Unless he is drunk then never mind he doesn't even know what he means.

I looked at the Specialized Hardrock Sport that oldtimer mentioned it is a pretty nice bike.

10. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

JensonUSA has the Jamis Dakota 29er for about $800, ready to go; not sure anymore what sizes they have left, haven't looked in awhile.

11. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

If you can wrench on it yourself, BikesDirect.com makes a couple nicely-spec'd 29ers. Their bikes are bikeshop quality but they don't really sell their product lines though shop so it's almost all ebay and mail order through their website. Their bikes are a killer deal if you can assemble, adjust, and maintain the bike yourself. If you aren't a home mechanic and don't want to become one- a local bike shop is probably your best bet.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with BD other than as a satisfied customer.

12. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Well here's my 2 cents! Age 62, last rode at 16 years of age! Bought a Redline Monocog 29er 21" Frame with a wheelbase of 44.5" a standover of 32"! It's a ball buster if your under 6' tall. I started in June on a graduated program starting at one mile a day for one week then 2 miles the next week, until I was riding 10 miles daily! Here are the changes that I added to the $450.00 base price of the bike. Disc brakes (Tektro) $125.00 Heavy duty Mtn Bike Saddle exchanged by LBS at no charge. Schwab Big Apple 29ers $80 bucks and a computer $30.00 Total $685.00 out the door. Now I weighed in at 280 lbs at the start and I am down to 230 lbs three months later! BTW I changed the 20T cog to a 16T which lets you move a little faster down the road but is a real burner on the way up!

Attached Files:

13. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

HEY Hophead, be nice, you can't imagine how much good has come from fluoridation of water!!!!

DrB

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You mean aside from it's mind control properties right doc?

15. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

You guys been readin WAY too many comic books!!:eek:

DrB

16. jeffj

jeffj F.S.O.A.

I just finished putting a bike together using this frame as a starting point:

Summer Clearance - Access XCL 9.7 29" Mountain Bike

I have ridden some other 29" bikes such as the new Giant hardtail and some full suspension models like the Turner Sultan and Santa Cruz Tallboy, so I do have some basis for comparison.

After a few rides on the new bike, I'm more than pleased. For the money, this is hard to top and they perform very well.

Of course, it would be best for one to test ride as many bikes as possible. If you're not handy with the tools, it may be wise to select a brand that a nearby dealer sells and services as this could be important to you and to be honest, many bike companies offer something that could suit you.

17. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

BikesDirect has two 29" single speeds. It's $349 for aluminum, or $399 for steel.

18. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Question bikers? I have a monocog 29er with a 32T crank and a 16t cog. What would be the associated problems with changing to a 42t crank and would it enhance my over all ride or am I way off base?

19. jeffj

jeffj F.S.O.A.

Why such a huge jump?

That seems like a lot of chainring for a singlespeed :eek:

20. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Do you have a geared bike you can try that ratio on, and see what a huge difference it makes?