Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this past late summer, fall time frame I kept getting a slight but annoying sounds from my pedals, more so on the drive side and it seemed generally under more power. I would clean my cleats and lube them and it would seem to go away but not for long, maybe it was wishful thinking on my part.

Anyway I was reading something and hadn't realized that these pedals could actually be greased but required a kind of special grease gun/tip. I started looking and the Speedplay grease gun was like not available anywhere and when you tried to order it they said it could not be shipped. I was like hat the %$^? Thing was kind of expensive as well. Found this Astro mini for like 11 bucks I think.

After looking into it a little deeper I figured out I could just use what was called a "mini" grease gun that holds about 3 ounces of grease, marine grease at that was required.

Finally got the grease gun today and lubed me up some pedals. Man..they were prolly a bit overdue. AND I'm not a huge fan of the way you actually get grease into these. Messy at best

Pedals were in dire need of a good cleaning, glad it's done.

Can't wait to actually ride outside and see what difference it makes :D

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there an injection port somewhere on the Speedplays?
Essentially. There is a tiny screw on the outboard side of the pedal. Remove the screw and insert the "mini" grease tip. I found out quickly that there is an end piece that will come out with grease pressure sending grease in places you don't want or need. Held it on place snuggly and lubed and spun the pedals until fresh, green marine grease was present.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More than one approach, I saw using the syringe technique but meh...not for me :D

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I like my SPD pedals that I can dismantle to completely clean the inside of the pedals and grease everything manually. This way I can make sure that all the components inside the pedals get greased and I can change the bearings, if needed. The Speedplays are much easier to grease and takes less time but I don't have anything else to do during most days, anyway.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I lube my Speedplays every 200 miles give or take.....OR.... after every inclement weather ride.
I learned the hard way with my first set, that the need regular maintenance.
I love these pedals. I’ve had a grease gun and grease tubes from them for years. @rola is correct about it being a messy operation.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts