Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an interesting observation while ordering some stuff to feed my biking habit this weekend. This may be old news for some of you but I found it very enlightening.

After placing my on-line order with Performancebike.com I compared my order to the price listings in the catalogue I had just received in the mail from them. I was suprised by the price differences between the catalogue and the web. I ordered 10 items online and spent a total $975. If I had ordered the same items from the catalogue, it would have been $611.00 dollars more.

I guess the thought here is that catalogues cost money to produce and distribute so they are trying to get some of the money back. The lesson I learned is that I won't be ordering from the catalogue... ever.

Anyway... I just thought I'd pass that along.
TRH

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
It's always worth checking their website. Sometimes they have web only deals. I have gotten the Performance near me to honor the web prices even for web only specials. Just print it out and bring it with you. Also, if you do have a Performance nearby, you can have them ship stuff there for no freight charge.

I think the printed catalog is just made to have something to read on the can.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Most places that sell bike parts don't even publish catalogs anymore. It's a rarity to see one. I was AMAZED to see one from Performance a couple months ago! Price Point has stopped, and Jenson is down to both sides of a page! My last catalog offering from Cambria was 2003! Colorado Cyclist sent me a catalog every couple months for several years, even though I never bought from them, and then they quit, too.

90+% of what I buy for bikes (mine and the family's) is from websites. This year, I spent upwards of a grand on bike parts and accessories online. Tubes, tires, new BB7's, chainrings, cassettes, helmets, seatposts, a new coil for my rear shock, a new wheelset for my sister's bike (MAY get paid back for that, we'll see), and the list goes on. I'll hit the LBS for gels, saddles (take-offs), and lube, things like that, or what online CAN'T get for me.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Are they still playing the numbers game with returning customers, the way the travel sites do? Used to be that if you cleared your cookies, the site would have different prices...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Using some sort of online service, my wife and I have eliminated 99% of the printed catalogues we receive. I heartily recommend it. I can't remember the name of the site though. It didn't take much effort, although a (very) few took a phone call to accomplish. But most were just a matter of listing the catalog name and the customer number and within a couple of months, poof no catalogs.

Performance was one of the worst with so many special catalogs. Cabela's and LL bean were THE worst (although I do love both companies and buy from them a lot, they had horrible wasteful catalog marketing strategies).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts