Major damage to our area

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rola643, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Last nights storms that rolled through our area spawned tornadoes. The county that I live in received some pretty substantial damage pretty much destroying one of the middle schools and many homes in it's path. Tornadoes in this area are pretty rare vs a hurricane. The are saying this was an F3 and possibly an F4 tornado that ripped through the area. Pictures from the link below do not even begin to show the extent of the damage and unfortunately it is slow as Molasses in January in Alaska.

2. georgec

georgec Member

Glad you made it alright.

Prayers for for everyone.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

4. rola643

Thanx Georgec, Fun, no no sirens here except for Surry Nuclear plant. nHad to go into work for a damage assessment ride out

Attached Files:

5. georgec

georgec Member

WOW that sucks. I asume the water tower was straight up at one time.

Like you we have to deal with hurricans. But strong tornados of any size are almost un heard of down here.

6. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Rola,

Prayers are out for those affected, which by the looks of it, includes just about everyone in that area, whether immediately or by knowing someone.

Glad you and yours are ok.

7. rola643

Thanx Hazy, it's been a long day with a LOT of work to do. A few more snapshots of the damage. The next to last one is inside Paige Middle School, it was completely demolished. The last one if you look close you can see what look like white tips on trees, that is where every tree was snapped at the top.

Gonna relax with a adult beverage and get ready to do it all again for several more days or weeks...

Attached Files:

8. rola643

The water tower is fine which is odd to me since everything around it was pretty much destroyed. It's just the perspective that makes it look like it's leaning. I had not noticed it until you mentioned it :confused:

9. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Rola, glad you are OK, man! That's the same line that had me worried Thursday night, but they didn't do much here. I read about a lot of damage in NC, but didn't see much about VA.

10. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

glad you are okay and like everyone send my best.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm glad you're OK, did anyone get hurt?

12. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I'm glad you're OK.

13. rola643

Been a LONG week, many hours of work. Thousands of feet of new strand pulled, primaries run, fiber spliced, coax pulled and gawd knows how many new poles set, ALL services restored to those who have a home that can be serviced, roads are cleared for travel....now the long arduous task of clean up for individual home owners begins. I think there were over 1500 linemen working the area at one point, that's a huge effort to get everything done in short order.

I have worked a couple hurricane recoveries and now this tornado and until you have gone through this you really can't comprehend even with all the coverage on tv the damage and devastation in peoples lives. Just trying to get around, get basic supplies like food and water can be a HUGE task.

I can't tell you how many people I have talked to this week that had small local insurance companies that appear to have left customers holding the bag...sad

I'm very happy to say that our community pulled together and had so many volunteers that a great many had to be turned away. I can't even count the times I was approached by local churches, CERT and countless others bringing us lunch and dinner, fruit, water and just a smiling face as we worked this week, it was just totally awesome to see it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  14. rola643

3 people died locally and 26 or 33 (I can't remember) in North Carolina.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  15. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

All I can say is wow!:(

I was young when it happened but the devastation was the only thing I can compare what happened to your area to my area.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFJ-zJgJVM&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - Madison Indiana Tornado Damage April 3, 1974[/ame]

Madison is only 20 miles from where I live now, but my parents grew up there.
    Something to be said about the human spirit during times like these:thumbsup:Just have to overlook the shysters and opportunists.:hate:

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

No one you knew I hope.

17. Thewayshemoves

Thewayshemoves New Member

Those storms came through here too. I live in Alabama, had over 200 dead within a two hour radius of here. It was pretty rough. Glad you're alright. I had some family who lost their home.

18. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I've been through enough quakes that I'd like to avoid any more natural disasters. Need to show this to my wife next time she suggests moving to VA.