Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to create your own bike seat?

I could see.. getting a properly sized pole from the hardware store with a square bracket at the top to bolt to the material your sitting on and then getting the material to hold the padding in place by stapling around the edges underneath...

·
Registered
453 Posts
How hard would it be to create your own bike seat?

I could see.. getting a properly sized pole from the hardware store with a square bracket at the top to bolt to the material your sitting on and then getting the material to hold the padding in place by stapling around the edges underneath...
Not hard at all. I use a seat of my own making. I also use a head foil of my own design and manufacture.

For a seat, carve from soft basswood or balsa or hard foam a shape that appeals to you. Take a good look at what is out there in the way of design. Try to figure what you want by eye if not by experience.

Smooth this newly carved seat and coat with a single layer of epoxy resin. Let harden and then sand to a fair finish. Coat this new surface with auto wax or any commercial mold release. Use this "seat" as a positive mold to cast the finished product by layering up a menu of materials on it. You can use fibreglass, carbon fibre or any number of modern fabrics like Kevlar or Spectra Fibre.

Let the whole thing set up and then pop it loose from your original carving. You now have a shell of the seat you first created. It is recommended you carve the original seat a tad undersize as the finished shell will grow in size from the layer build up. This is all done by eye and experience is helpful. (I did it badly the first time - too big)

This shell can be made to accept the hardware off an existing saddle. I did not make my own rails but took them from an old Brooks saddle.

Your outer shell can now be covering in any type of material you can glue to it. Or you can ride it smooth and bare. That is what I did after epoxy painting it forest green to match my frame.

There are many good books to be had on the working of composite materials. It's dirty work but easier to do than you might think. It does help to have some sense of art or shape and form. Tool use too.

Ian

·
Registered
453 Posts
mr mate tell me I have to boite the bullet

in other words just go and buy one:D
craisin, I had to laugh after seeing your last line and suddenly realizing what I'd described. You are correct. No wanker needs to make a seat. Anything that fits your taint is fine. I'm still laughing.

I just like to make things. Some people do. I've made my seats, seat posts and head foils. All of those items but the head foil is easily available to a gent.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
Over the years I have toyed with the idea of making a a plain wooden saddle but have not gotten around to it. Probably not such a unique idea... bet if I googled it I'd find a bunch... that always discourages me from doing anything.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Over the years I have toyed with the idea of making a a plain wooden saddle but have not gotten around to it. Probably not such a unique idea... bet if I googled it I'd find a bunch... that always discourages me from doing anything.
That would be enough reason for me to try it. Try to make one that made the others look like they were done by an amateur. Make it smoother, shinier, bolder, more amazing, and just all around better. The level of awesome would be limited only by your effort and attention to detail.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
OK Grape, I get the picture.... maybe I'll rough one out on the bandsaw tomorrow. Alder will look nice, handsome grain and color, and not weigh too much... waddya think? Kind of base the shape on a BROOKS B17 maybe? I have an old 3ttt saddle (looks like a Cinelli Unicator) that I can cannibalize for the rails... expect pictures sometime after Christmas!

BTW, if the wood breaks and I get a pair of vintage rails lodged somewhere where they shouldn't oughta be I'll blame you!:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
chh55, I'll bet you could make a fine wooden saddle. You could even laminate different wood colors and come up with a zebra seat. Run the lines fore and aft for strength. Or run them so as to mimic contour lines on a map. Any number of eye-appealing ways to do it.

To take off weight, hollow the belly a tad. Wood is pretty strong stuff and does not weigh very much.

I think I'm off to the wood pile. I've talked myself into something. Thanks for the idea. Good winter project.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Thought of doing that my self. but after an internet search I was able to find alot of alternatives. Ended up with a spiderflex noseless saddle. Best seat I have ever used. (works for me anyway)

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
that would be horrible. unless its a recumbent

not trying to be rude

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do you know what would be comfortable to me? I have back problems, and the seat back would make it easier. I also need to get a two-wheel bike and hack some extra wheels on (adult stabilizer wheel cost $$$$ and are too wide.) Yeah, what I currently have is a trike, but it's very hard to get around anywhere in this city on it. Not bike, and definitely not trike-friendly! But what should I expect from a place that once used sleds because it was covered in mud?

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
not trying to be rude, sorry. not at all wishing to insult you. its hard to say things over the net without appearing rude though.

i was thinking of the bottom part cutting into your thighs while you ride. but if yo u put it on a recumbent, it could work.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
you should look at getting a euromesh seat like i have on my bacchetta strada. it is super nice. i just did 100 miles sunday on it and no pain at all

1 - 18 of 18 Posts