Malt Whisky

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hophead, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I figured that since the Beer thread is so popular, why not Malt Whisky!

I'm sitting on my couch watching The Flying Scotsman with a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail. I've had malts from every distillery in Islay, but this is the first time I've had this particular whisky. This stuff is like the 10 yo on steroids. Wow!!

I'm drinking it neat right now. Dram #2 I will add a bit of water and see what happens.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Will this lead to a cigar thread?

3. hophead

I'll leave that in your capable hands. I quit cigars 10 years ago.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So cigar thread is in order then? I quit smoking a couple years back, but still smoke the cigars.

5. Industry_Hack

Thanks for the reminder.

6. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

My favorite Islay is McClelland Islay Single Malt. I picked it up on a lark when I was going low budget and it is the best single malt I've found for sub-$25. Macallans 10 year is great stuff too. One of the best I've ever had was a 18 year old The Glenlivet. It's what I call "Prayer Whiskey". You take a sip, lower your head looking at the glass and reverently say, "Damn...". And please do not call me a blasphemer for this statement but...Bushmills 10 year single malt Irish is heavenly too.

i've been drinking more bourbon than anything lately.

7. Industry_Hack

I got a bottle of Lismore Single Speyside from TJ's last time I was in SoCal. To be honest, I'm more of a rum guy, so I can't appreciate the subtleties between different brands. But I'm willing to give it a try! :D

My last bottle of expensive spirits was some cognac I bought in 1996 that was sipped at slowly for over ten years. If my ex goes back to Australia for Christmas, she's promised to bring me back the bottle of Bundy OP that she owes me. That, four ice cubes, and a few ounces of cola, (Coke, never Pepsi, please!) is my idea of summer sipping.

8. hophead

Well, I can't argue that it's the best for under $25 if that's what you are lookin' for.

Sorry, but I can't bite my tongue on this one. McClelland is the absolute worst Islay whisky that I've ever tasted. Although it meets the letter of the law to be called Scotch Whisky, it does so with not much room to spare. There is no McClelland distillery. McClelland Islay is actually 5 year old Bowmore. Bowmore doesn't even sell its whisky that young. The youngest I've ever seen is a 10 year old.

A few years back I was at a Scotch tasting and they had a bottle of McClelland there to illustrate what immature whisky tastes like.

Seriously Nigal, do yourself a favor and pick up a 10 year old bottle of Bowmore. It's ten times better and only costs ten of fifteen bucks more. If you really love that peaty smoky flavor then try some Ardbeg or Laphroiag. That stuff will knock your socks off!

9. Industry_Hack

If he likes it, it doesn't matter how bad it is. I've seen guys that happily smoked cigars that I thought were terrible, just as there are folks that don't or can't appreciate a good cigar. No biggie.

10. hophead

Like I said, for under $25 there is no competition. There are exactly zero other examples at that price point. I don't know how many other Islays Nigal has sampled since he did not indicate that.

A Huffy is a wonderful bike too if you only have a Walmart and a C note.:rolleyes:

11. Nigal

LOL! As I said I was on a budget when I bought it. Yes I've had my share of the top shelf scotches to know where it falls in the food chain. I can't spend $60 every time I want a snort. It's a fine scotch for the money. Is it even comparable to the top shelf stuff? No. But it's fine for what it is.

My favorite beer is Chimay Grand Reserve Blue Label but this doesn't mean I don't like Old Milwaukee either.

12. Nigal

Very good. I follow the Frank Booth rule when it comes to drinking. Drink what ya like.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4&NR=1]YouTube - Blue Velvet Pabst Blue Ribbon[/ame]