Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding lately I've been trying to "manage" passing cars by riding say 3 feet off the line at the edge of the road, then pulling say 2 feet to the right as the car actually gets to me. So that they move left to pass, and then i get more space between them and me when they pass.

Is this a good idea or a stupid idea?

Note i'm talking about rides in exurbs, so there's a minute or 3 between cars, this is not city riding.

Any other safety suggestions like this out there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
When riding lately I've been trying to "manage" passing cars by riding say 3 feet off the line at the edge of the road, then pulling say 2 feet to the right as the car actually gets to me. So that they move left to pass, and then i get more space between them and me when they pass.

Is this a good idea or a stupid idea?

Note i'm talking about rides in exurbs, so there's a minute or 3 between cars, this is not city riding.

Any other safety suggestions like this out there?
I am consistent. I 'take the lane' every time. Because I am not mediocre when it comes to dealing with traffic.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
With residential side streets in my town, such tactics are unnecessary; for the rare times I hit a main or secondary street, I only move out of the right tire track of the lane when there is more than half a block of empty parking spaces extending to the next traffic light.

I don't "meander" like that, sends a confusing message to already-confused motorists.

·
Registered
870 Posts
To the OP, you're not managing cars, you're managing your own safety and riding in a defenzive manner, as all cyclists should ride. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just make sure you're predictable when you ride. The wrong expectation with motorists can have tragic results.

·
Older than Hack
147 Posts
I ride in the right tire track. I keep an eye on traffic approaching from the rear. Once in a great while I'll move to the right a bit because the car doesn't want to move over, but that's extremely rare.

I like to think of it has "herding cars." :D

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
In town I'm usually going at or just above the speed limit; I don't get passed very much. Outta town, which I don't do very much anymore, all bets are off and I assume every motorized vehicle is out to get me. So I move to the right as far a possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts