Manor Texas Bans Cyclists from Road

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by TxCyclist, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

This town isn't far from me and in fact I have rode there before. Bummer if it sticks.

Cyclists oppose new road ban in Manor

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I believe it. I used to drive through manor all the time. They're really not set up for Cyclist and the majority of there roads are 55+. I don't like the idea of the many oppressing the few but, I understand there really isn't a large enough cycling population to support pro-cycling legislation on a local level. That being sauid I'm sorry for the cyclist that are there.

3. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Powerball couldn't pay me to live there!

Regardless of the conditions, it's outrageous to use the tired old saw of 'safety' -- the same thing drive-up-equipped retail outlets use to forbid cyclists in drive-ups -- to oppress a user group. Favoritism, plain and simple.

4. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

I e-mailed them and told them, the ban was not only bad for business n' the economy. That it was also bad for the environment. Lastly, That the ban was a poor excuse for ignoring road maintenance.:hate:

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Did you get a response?

6. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Blogger Chipseal did. Twice.

Basically, it's a "temporary restriction due to hazardous road conditions." A cyclist recently fell and got injured due to the front tire getting stuck in a deep cracks in the road. Until the road can be repaired they closed it to bicycle traffic so they don't get sued. Not worth all the fuss, really.

7. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

Not yet.

8. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

I wonder 'how temporary'.

For months, the local city n' county governments wouldn't lift a finger to fix [ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Shady+Grove+Road+and+Gaither+Road&vps=1&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=25.842768,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shady+Grove+Rd+%26+Gaither+Rd,+Rockville,+Montgomery,+Maryland]Shady Grove Road and Gaither Road - Google Maps[/ame], where Gaither Rd. goes south from Shady Grove Rd.. They finally got tired of my pestering them. Because, I knew it wasn't on the list of road construction projects.

They finally got it done in June of this year. They just needed to take one day to fix it. It was pathetic of the county government, to keep stalling like that.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I know the road they're talking about I have driven it many times. Does road work get done in Ft. Worth? It's been a while since I was there. In Austin it sits with a sign for six months before a crew of four goes out there stand around then removes the sign. I would imagine in Manor it's far worse due to the small population and meager earnings of the majority of the population. Manor is poor. I hope the guy gets more direct answers.

10. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

It seems like it's in the best interest of the community.