mapmyride.com

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Xela, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Cool site that allows you to plan and analyze routes. Good way to figure out how far your planned route is going to be. Free membership (just have to deal with banner adds on the free membership).

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Very nice. So if I got it right it doesn't use your GPS logs, it's you manually mapping your ride?

3. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

Cool, thanks for the link!

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Thanks, now I know I am not going near as far as it felt. Oh and the hills are not steep at all. Well the map says they aren't steep.

5. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

yeah, the elevation feature likes to average out some killer short steep hills and seems to outright lie about the grades of longer hills

6. Grape Ape

Well it had my entire ride as 247' total ascent 292' total descent. But I could swear I had to climb over 10,000 feet and only got to drop about 3 and that was at the beginning. Sort of like when the old folks tell about being a kid. Uphill both ways to school in 5 foot of snow barefoot. My ride was 10000 feet straight up with flat tires and square rims. Some day I will be in good shape and the big ones like that will be easy.

7. Xela

Grape Ape, I did that same ride. However, you forgot to mention the 50 mph headwind in both directions.

8. Grape Ape

It must have dropped down when you rode it I am sure it was 80-85 with gusts of 100-120.

Back in June when I was able to ride I did have a good one. I rode up the road and wore myself out pretty good and figured I better turn back towards the house or I wouldn't make it home. When I turned around I finally noticed the wind which had been blowing at my back the entire ride. It was a long, rough ride home.

9. Xela

Yep, it's crazy how even a 10 mph headwind can make such a difference. If it's windy, I usually try to plan my rides so that I'm going into the wind at the beginning. I really hate it when I have to finish a ride with a headwind.

10. Grape Ape

I never even thought of it. Sadly After messing with the mapmyride site I have determined that all of my rides from the house take me down wind as I leave the house and upwind coming back or the 2 rides going the other way have a killer hills (lug the car down type hills with a long grade) returning to the house. Oh well I got this thing to get into shape. I will definitely do that.

The map my ride has also shown me that I have seven good loops from the house and all are coming in at right under 10 miles. Nothing real long but some good rides. This really is a good site and you can't complain about the price. Free is always good.

11. Mike

Mike New Member

If you liked MapMyRide you should take a look at "RideWithGPS.com". Works a lot better.

12. Grape Ape

Ok RideWithGPS is much better than map my ride. I like how I can go to the elevations map and see how it relates to the spot on the road. Plus rideWith GPS is more user friendly it is difficult to route with mapmyride. Ride with GPS is much better.

Thanks Mike.

13. glens2422

glens2422 New Member

Map my ride can also give you great routes when biking in other areas. For $2 you get a detailed route. I have used it in austin and dallas and was very satisfied with the map and details of the ride I choose. I have had trouble getting to the proper files from the forerunner gps on my computer.

14. cullenking

cullenking Junior Member

ridewithgps

Hello all, I am one of the co-founders of Ride with GPS and saw some traffic come in from you guys. Just wanted to pop in, say hello and respond to a couple things.

Grape Ape and Mike: thanks for plugging our site! Right now we are growing solely by word of mouth, and it's people like you that are really helping us out. We can't thank you guys enough.

Glens2422: We are currently rounding out a complete rewrite and redesign of the site, launching Friday. After this rewrite, we are expanding out premium feature set, which will include highly customizable print views of maps and cue sheets. We haven't decided if we are willing to charge per map for printing, however any premium member will have unlimited printing for free.

To anyone wanting to play around, head over and signup for an account and send us some ideas; we LOVE hearing feedback and suggestions. The redesign/rewrite encompasses about 100 suggestions and pieces of feedback from our current users, and if you jump on board, you can help us shape the direction of this project.

Finally, Zack, Cameron and I want two things: to make this our full-time job and to show the competition what innovation really is. We value our users and treat them with respect, so our income model is to sell premium mapping as a product, rather than to sell users to advertisers.

15. hammerinwheels

hammerinwheels New Member

Cool deal. I'm going to post this on my bike club's site! No rides of interest in my area but I can help with that. :thumbsup:

16. cullenking

cullenking Junior Member

hammerinwheels: thanks man, the publicity is appreciated :)

Sorry everyone, for being delayed on the redesign launching. We ran into some issues that we wanted to smooth out before handing off to the public. Looks like it might be another day or two! On the plus side, things are starting to look pretty cool :)

17. Grape Ape

Cullen, you're welcome, I can't wait for the new set up if it is an improvement over what I worked with so far it will be very nice. I submitted an idea to you regarding the background color and elevation mileage numbers.

I sent my sister to your site yesterday. She was wanting some elevation information for the ranch her and her husband own. She used it to check the elevation difference and get a side profile of the property. She liked the site said she was very impressed with it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  18. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Great site, thanks for sharing!

19. Xela

I just checked the elevation on ridewithgps.com. It is close to the total ascent that my Garmin gave me during the ride. The profiles match nicely. Because of this, I'm gonna now say that I prefer ridewithGPS. Plus, there's not those pop-up ads plastered all over.

Click the thumbnail below to see how the ridewithGPS profile compared to my Garmin.

ridewthgps elevation.jpg