Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new thread in order to continue this thought.

So your afraid the workers will quit if you don't turn a blind eye? You would rather have workers zoning out while working?
No, I know they will leave. It's happened. Zoning out? I didn't zone out. Not since I was 12.

Why not tell all your workers that you know their smoking pot on the job; and then warn them that in the future it won't be tolerated any longer, and if they continue they will face disciplinary action starting with a day off with no pay followed by week off with no pay for the second offense then dismissal for the third; and if they don't like the new rules then they can leave now. There are plenty of people looking for work so replacing an employee or two won't be difficult.
No work no pay is understood. Who is going to do the work in the meantime? I'll tell you, me. I don't believe in warnings, if you've done something enough to warrant dismissal, you're gone, I don't work to make friends, which is good, I don't. I'm their boss.

As for the people looking for work, I wont hire you if you have anything above an associates.

You'll have one or two actually quit to see if you will stand behind what you say, or continue to smoke pot while the others will be watching to see what you do...to find out if your serious. By doing what your doing is telling them you have no backbone so they can run over you because you won't do anything. Your the boss, act like a boss, and show them who's the boss...right now they think their the boss...and their right!!
Trust me, my employees know I'm boss. What are benefits to your job? Time off? Health care? Paid sick time? I can't offer any of those. Not unless you are a manager, even then, not really.

I realize in the restaurant business there's no drug testing and you don't need to go that far, but bring drugs and doing drugs while at work and on work property should not be tolerated.
There is at higher levels. I had to take one recently. Ever have a beer with lunch? I look at it like that.

Stop at weed? Once the Pandora's box has been opened the others will come out of the box.
No they wont. Pot is not the same as other drugs. That being said, it's not the only one I have to contest with, but there in is the difference.

I'm not arguing for it, I know it seems that way, but the reality is different. These people are making $8.00 an hour at an endless job that cares nothing for them, really, get hurt not on drugs and good luck getting anyone to help you out. You'll be lucky to keep your job. They will never retire, they will never get ahead, I'm not doing bad, but I'm far from doing well, if it provides them with a small amount of comfort and doesn't affect work performance, then I don't care.

I'm to busy following behind the people that don't understand germs or cross contamination.

Pot is harmless. People on pot are as well, for the most part, crazy is crazy weed or otherwise.

As for firing people, I don't mind it, I've never fired someone for no reason, I give plenty of leniency for learning, if I fire you, you have offset your value to me.

What makes me good at my job is I keep my eyes on the prize. Money. My bosses want it, I want to give it to them, nothing gets in the way of that. Crappy menus, stupid employees, costly overhead, waste, I can deal with all of these, but I can't do it on my own. I need good employees, and sometimes those employees get high.

·
Two skinny J's
21,517 Posts
Interesting..Would you allow them to work on or fly an aircraft you were about to get into and fly cross country? Pot might be harmless but I still aint get in that aircraft! 8 hours bottle to throttle is scary enough :)

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
Although I never smoked while I was working, I don't smoke at all now. I quit in January. A choice i'm quite pleased with.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Interesting..Would you allow them to work on or fly an aircraft you were about to get into and fly cross country? Pot might be harmless but I still aint get in that aircraft! 8 hours bottle to throttle is scary enough :)
I believe cocaine was the drug of choice for airline pilots.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
i think you make good points Fun... i worked in the restaurant world, as a low level not in charge, but had they fired everyone who toked up the only people left would have been me and the executive chef and maybe one line cook.(but he drank the whole time he was on shift) that would have been a mess, i was a dish washer and sometimes helped clean the kitchen depending on who was in charge. one chef liked me and for some reason that meant i could do more work... the point is a chef, one cook and me... would have been, well the only word that comes to mind is F*%ked. i would be an awful server!
anyhow, if people don't understand they have never been in a kitchen or the front of the house foe that matter!

·
Two skinny J's
21,517 Posts
I believe cocaine was the drug of choice for airline pilots.
I won' t debate that but pot still has/had it's place. I was thinking as it related to current (as at least when I got out) drug testing in the military after an aircraft incident on board the USS Nimitz in 1981 where if I recall the ground crew might have been a little smoked (or at least tested positive) as they tried to put one on the deck. Marijuana was cited as a major factor contributing to the loss of life, aircraft and millions in damage.

There were other drug rehab programs that the DoD tried before that for post Vietnam GI's that really didn't deter much of anything but they had to do something before they turned them back to society.

When I got to my first duty station in Germany in 1981 there were 4 guys on there way to Leavenworth,Ks for possession and distribution of more than 50 grams of hash and 3 other being dishonorably discharged for failed drug tests. The first Monday I stood roll call I'll never forget. Me being a 1 stripper watching Chief Master Sargent Bilby( seemed like he had stripes all the way down his sleeves to me at the time) was cussing us for someone leaving paraphernalia in his break room ash tray after weekend duty and he was gonna have someones ass!

I saw more Hash (almost never pot overseas) and crank roll through shops back then, then I ever saw before as a civilian. That was back in the day when commanders threw awesome keg parties on the flight line after chem-warfare exercises,NATO exercises, etc...We partied hard after exercises like that but those days are LONG gone.

All this to say that my views and perspective on this subject have made huge swings from the days of my youth to how I currently feel about the subject.

-----LOx works great on a hangover! Sit in the cockpit and suck it up----

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No of course not, but then I'm not flying airplanes now am I? I hate to belittle my own importance, I do have a pressure not to accidentally poison people, but over site in my job does not make me crash into a river.

It usually earns you a nickname like lefty or burn face.

I won' t debate that but pot still has/had it's place. I was thinking as it related to current (as at least when I got out) drug testing in the military after an aircraft incident on board the USS Nimitz in 1981 where if I recall the ground crew might have been a little smoked (or at least tested positive) as they tried to put one on the deck. Marijuana was cited as a major factor contributing to the loss of life, aircraft and millions in damage.

There were other drug rehab programs that the DoD tried before that for post Vietnam GI's that really didn't deter much of anything but they had to do something before they turned them back to society.

When I got to my first duty station in Germany in 1981 there were 4 guys on there way to Leavenworth,Ks for possession and distribution of more than 50 grams of hash and 3 other being dishonorably discharged for failed drug tests. The first Monday I stood roll call I'll never forget. Me being a 1 stripper watching Chief Master Sargent Bilby( seemed like he had stripes all the way down his sleeves to me at the time) was cussing us for someone leaving paraphernalia in his break room ash tray after weekend duty and he was gonna have someones ass!

I saw more Hash (almost never pot overseas) and crank roll through shops back then, then I ever saw before as a civilian. That was back in the day when commanders threw awesome keg parties on the flight line after chem-warfare exercises,NATO exercises, etc...We partied hard after exercises like that but those days are LONG gone.

All this to say that my views and perspective on this subject have made huge swings from the days of my youth to how I currently feel about the subject.

-----LOx works great on a hangover! Sit in the cockpit and suck it up----
The DoD rehab programs were a ruse and everyone knows that. It was an excuse to keep trained GI's in the field to quell the rising insurrection at home. That and the kids were coming back messed up. Drugs or otherwise.

I'm not saying Airline pilots, soldiers, president should smoke. They have important jobs and make a sizable living to go out and buy their happiness.

My folks will work till the day they die, and they will die broke. The will bleed, burn, cut themselves expose themselves to jerks (most customers are), and be treated as a second class citizen because they are in food. I have a different ideology, but then I'm not like them.

I chose this, this is what I do. I love it. I don't think I would be happy doing anything else, but I understand there aren't any options for the drift-less youth. No more factories, no more aspirations of middle class, that's over. Used to be an education assured that, now that's not even true. We are a generation resolute in our determination to not be the greedy capitalist self serving jerks like our parents are. If I'm not striving to get ahead, why not slow down a little?

It's not a rat race, enjoy it, if you need weed to do it, and to do it in order to work in something you dislike, but it's the one benefit you actually might get, then I don't care. If it affects you negatively, your gone, but keep your cool it will all work out.

As for the pot issue in and of itself. If I pay a Doc $200 plus dollars he'll cut me a script for Xanax, Prozac, Librium you name it, in order to make me happy cause I think there is something wrong with not being happy. Then I'll spend the same in pills with horrible side affects.

I make $11 an hour. If it boils down to that or $200 in weed, you better believe I'm going with the weed. Why? Cause all the above named drugs are a trick. Happiness is fleeting and found in the in between moments, not something you can cram in a pill. Pot allows people to enjoy the in between.

Happiness for most is down hill in an uphill life. I like the uphill, so my response is different.

·
Two skinny J's
21,517 Posts
Still hurts.
Sorry! Just got home from work and I'm a bit wiped out and still have much to do tonight before moma gets home tomorrow so I have to bow out a bit :) But I'm liking this :D <-- That'a pot smokers smile! or...was it some other illicit drug I'm thinking of

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
While I do not use illegal drugs I personally feel drugs should be legal. The vast majority of the societal ills associated with drugs comes from the fact they are illegal. That being said there is a time and place for drug use and before or during work is not the time; any more than drinking is.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
It's 4:20 somewhere...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts