Matu****a National Bicycle

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by gatorguy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Matsushita National Bicycle

I'm looking for information on this bike and thought I'd post here. Are there any vintage collectors here?
    I've searched up and down with Google and found that National was the brand sold in Japan and Panasonic in the USA. I'm thinking 60's but not sure - when did 10 speeds come to bikes like this?
    Any help regarding information about this brand/model would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Nice bike! Looks like I need to edit the censor list a little better.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Remove that word from the list, and just do a regular search for it. This site is pretty well-behaved, so it shouldn't present any problems. By the way, you need a Vintage section on here.

And yes, nice bike. I'm guessing the guys from Velobase would be able to help out with that.

4. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I agree, a version 3 GT. The question would be if it's original. If so, that would be a great indication of the age of the bike.

Anyone know when they started putting 10 speeds on bikes like this?

6. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Those cotter cranks look older than '73... I remember the stick shift period on Schwinns being late 60's

7. chh55

BTW a Vintage forum is overdue! I'm just in the process of dismantling my '86 OLMO squadra and it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. All C Record stuff, selling the goodies to a guy in Macao.
    There's probably a few members into vintage bikes.

8. chh55

What is that round object between the head tube and the front luggage rack?

9. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

It looks like a light. If I'm not mistaken that's a generator on the back tire.

10. chh55

Yeah of course that's the dynamo on the back but I don't think it's a light on the stem... look at pics 4 and 5... a little out of focus but it looks like an instrument gauge (??) the speedo is on the handlebar so it can't be that. 2 death ray headlights already so why another light? And that odd white tube/crank arm in pic 5... is it a siren?

11. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

It's a National branded horn, and it works! It sounds a bit tinny. The lever is a simple contact mechanism to activate the horn.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009