Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm Mark.

I posted pics/descriptions of my first single-speed conversion in the gallery if you're interested! Thanks.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hophead----I didn't want any extra stuff hanging on my bike like tensioners------that's part of the appeal of SS to me----so I fiddled around with cog sizes and chain length. I ended up using a 1/2-link, but this, in combination with getting a nice straight chainline has worked out great. I've been on several long rides with no hint whatsoever of losing the chain.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Hophead----I didn't want any extra stuff hanging on my bike like tensioners------that's part of the appeal of SS to me----so I fiddled around with cog sizes and chain length. I ended up using a 1/2-link, but this, in combination with getting a nice straight chainline has worked out great. I've been on several long rides with no hint whatsoever of losing the chain.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of dangly derailleur lookin' thing-a-ma-bobs on my ss either. I did the same thing with my singlespeed road bike conversion. It was a little easier though since it has horizontal dropouts.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love to find an old roadbike with horizontal dropouts to convert to SS! I've been looking.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I'd love to find an old roadbike with horizontal dropouts to convert to SS! I've been looking.
They're out there. My Schwinn frankenbike was a dumpster rescue that one of my buddies grabbed up. Got a wheel set at a swap meet and a few other pieces parts here and there. I think I've got around $100 in it.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I'm curioius, what make/model is it and what makes that the holy grail? (not doubting, just need to be educated)
That is a White Industries eccentric hub. It allows you to convert a frame with vertical dropouts to singlespeed without need for a spring loaded chain tensioner. The chain is tensioned by rotating the elliptical axle ends in the dropouts.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Thanks! I see those are around $140 online. How does that compare with the alternative?
The only other real alternative to tension the chain on a bike with vertical dropouts is to run a chain tensioner like the one pictured below. Or as the OP did, experiment with various cogs, chainrings, and half links until you find a combination that removes most of the slack. There is no way to tension the chain using the second method.

Attachments

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm sure the Surley 'Singulator' as shown above, works nice and is a simple fix, but one of the big attractions of SS to me is the simple, uncluttered look--------adding a tensioner is going backwards, in this regard! I'd do everything I could to avoid having to use one, including looking for a different bike with horizontal drop-outs. My thoughts on the Eno hub are that I'd have to really like a frame to spend that much in order to get chain tension. No doubt, it's very cool and preserves the clean 'look', but that much $$ for a hub would be a good down-payment on a complete new SS bike! :S

I also just wanted to add----for any other first-timers out there-----with a dedicated SS ring and sprocket and careful chainline alignment, you might get by without having as tight of tension as you'd ideally like! Just try it----as I said, I've ridden bike hard for many hours now and it shows no sign of dropping the chain. Beginners luck, I guess!! Sadly, when I tried to put a cog just 1 tooth bigger on, it made it too tight.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I totally agree with ya mark. I've never used a singulator or any other similar device. Just puttin' it out there for others who might want to convert their ride to ss.

Singlespeeds are my passion. I think everyone should have at least one in the stable. The Koolaid is good--Drink it!:)

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, as much as I didn't want to, I added this shop-built chain tensioner. I made it out of the old rear derailleur. You can actually get 2 of them out of one derailleur, but this 1/2 looks best. After thoroughly cleaning it, I bolted it to the old hanger and adjusted it to line up with my ring gear by shimming with nuts and washers as shown. Very solid-----should do the job!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts