Men's large Gary Fisher Tassajara Mountain Bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by woogyboogy, Apr 6, 2010.

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I know this is like the 4th thread I've posted for bikes, but I simply just want to find the right bike for me, at a decent price. I found this bike near me on Craigslist, unfortunately there isn't much of a description, but I looked up all the years this bike was made from 2002 and up, and all the reviews were pretty solid for the price. I also saw this bike came in 15.5 17.5 19 and 21 inch frames, in the description he said it was a large, HOPEFULLY it is a 19 inch although, 17.5 would be perfect. Please tell me your thoughts about this bike, thanks

Heres the ad:
    "Men's large Gary Fisher Tassajara mountian bike - $225.
    Great condition. Current version sells for over $1150."

2. jwl325

jwl325 Member

I just bought a leftover 2009 model, very pleased with the bike. I was about to pull the trigger on a '10 Wahoo when the LBS guy mentioned there might be some leftover '09 models, so I upgraded a bit.

Not an expert by any stretch, but I think the Tass is a really nice package. Older models may or may not be disc-equipped (I think it was offered both ways in the earlier production years). They've used a variety of components over the years, but all appear to be upper entry-level stuff of high quality.

Find out the year (and of course the size)--citing what a bike costs new might not mean a lot if it's a 7-year old bike for sale. At the price he's asking, sounds like it might be fairly early model, but who knows, you might be looking at a really good deal.

3. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

thanks for the response, Ive tried emailing him but i haven't gotten a response yet. I hope he does cause i really want this bike. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your bike?

4. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Hope it works out for you Woogy. I paid $750 for the bike new, as a leftover.

5. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

Thanks man, how do you like the hardtail? And also have you taken it off any jumps at all or ledges?

6. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Nah, nothing death defying (unless you count some of the broken paved roads here in Algiers, LOL...).

I don't do anything that aggressive that I'd be interested in looking at full suspension bikes. Bought it primarily for more cross-country riding.

Bill

7. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

well I found out the bike is a 2001-2002 19" Frame and here are some pictures

Attached Files:

8. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Looks like it's been babied....

9. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

well do you think i should buy it for 200$? or try to make a better offer?

10. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Woog, I really don't have too much expertise on used bike prices...I can tell you when I we bought our first new bikes a year or so back (a couple Trek hybrids for my wife and I, $400-$600 bikes IIRC), we traded our two existing bikes in. Hers was a GT hybrid, about 2002/3 vintage, and mine was an early Schwinn trail bike (no suspension), about '93 vintage. As I recall, the LBS gave me about $125 for my wife's, and $225 for mine, figuring he could probably resell them for an additional $40-$50 apiece.

If I were buying a bike this old, I'd want to take it to a shop and have it gone over, regardless of how clean it might be--just a general tune up, relube, cable adjustments, that kind of thing. So I'd add maybe another $50-$60 into my buying budget for that kind of stuff. Might even need new tires, depending on their actual age/condition, or type of tire you might prefer, which would add a bit more to the equation.

Nothing wrong with buying a $200 bike and putting another $100 into tune up and parts, but it's something you should be aware of going in.

If he's asking $225, JMHO, but I'd offer around $140-$150 and see if he bites. There are likely some guys around here with more experience buying/selling used though, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Bill

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well did you buy the bike, looking at the photos I would give him 200 in a hart beat. :thumbsup:

12. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

He's still looking at entry level bikes, but wants to go dirt jumping. This is a sure recipe for disaster. What he really should be looking for is something like the Specialized P1 - hardtail, with a very stout fork.

[​IMG]

13. jwl325

jwl325 Member

IH, glad some folks with more experience have chimed in to help out Woogy.

But your post raised a question for me--to a novice like myself looking at the specs on the S-1, it doesn't appear that different from the bike Woog's looking at (or Fisher's G series in general), save age and the longer extension fork over the older Tass.

Is there something else that I should be paying attention to?

(Woog, sorry for the off-route vector on your post).

Bill

14. Industry_Hack

The P 1 is designed to be ridden hard. It's far more durable than the Gary Fisher.

15. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Ok, thanks--looking at the specs, that didn't come across that clearly to me (both alum, similar quality components, etc.), but as I said, mine is a novice's eye--and I've never had the chance to look at/explore Specialized's stuff up close.

Bill

16. Industry_Hack

Have a look at the geometry, and a closer look at the specs. The bar/stem combo is really stout, the wheels are stronger, and that fork has much larger stanchions.

17. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Gotcha, thanks!

18. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

!!!!!!!UPDATE I just won a bid for a Gary Fisher Sugar 3 for 390$ plus 60$ shipping, its an 18 inch frame, 26x2.00 tires 27 speed, dual suspension, the only thing wrong with it is, The saddle for bike is coming undone, and one of the pedals is missing a screw. Both the seat and pedal should be repaired or replaced, thats what it says, but it cant be to serious. I haven't paid for it but i plan on it very soon.

Heres some pictures of what it looks like:

Attached Files:

19. Industry_Hack

Looks like a fine XC bike, and if you're not too heavy, may hold up well to some air time.

20. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I'm only 135 so I would say I'm not to heavy haha, but do you think this is a good deal?