Michelin city treking tire

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Oct 3, 2009.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well I got my city trecking on with new tubes and tire liners. So I went for a 15 mile ride and thay seam slower than the Kenda Komfort tire I had on befor. I was running 70# air in the Kenda and 85# in the Citys the Kenda were 26 x 1.95 the Citys are 26 x1.85. the 1.85 seam like a taller tire as the stand over seams less. I am wondering if the tire liners could be the culprit as I seamed to use a gear lower than normal for where I was on the ride.

comments please

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If the combination of the new tires and liners is heavier than your old rubber, then yes, it makes sense that they may be slower or at least harder to get rolling. When trying to make a bike faster, tires and wheels is the first place to look to reduce weight since it is compounded by being rotational mass.

The difference between a 1.85 and 1.95" tire is so small that it's unlikely that would make your bike slower. Also, actual tire size varies significantly from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've had 2.35" tires that are closer to 2.1". It's possible that the 1.85's could be as wide as the 1.95's or even bigger. Also, the rubber compound itself can affect the speed at which a tire rolls. A soft sticky tire will be slower than a harder tire.

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well I measured the rool out and the Citys are 81" and the Kenda are 79". After 3 rides I am riding about the same MPH avrage but I am useing 1 gear lower with the Citys for where I am on the ride. I still think the liners have somthing to do with this as with 85# of air I would have picked up some, that and the Citys haveing less tread more of a slick.