Miles vs. KM

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Cruso, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Cruso

Cruso Guest

What do you prefer? I think Km makes it seem like you went further or faster because the number is higher but what do you guys go by when your on a ride?

2. SteveM

SteveM New Member

I like Kms because I can so many more of them!

3. petehickey

petehickey New Member

I use Kms because that's what all the signs are in... distances, speed limits, etc.

4. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Nobody uses miles except for Americans...

Even my US buddies here use klicks, cause they're used to it in the military.

5. monty73741

monty73741 New Member

6. Bradford

Bradford Guest

I use miles here in America!

7. livendadream

livendadream Guest

" Back in the day" I used hours . Not miles or kilometers. I would head out and just ride in the time I had. Then when I was done, I would look at the speedo, and basically I could tell from distance/speed/conditions/ time and trail if I was making any progress. Try it sometime, cover your speedo and just ride. When you are done you might surprise yourself. J.

8. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I use miles because not many people here in Kansas understand the metric system.

9. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

this is a neat idea.

Also, I like Km better, simply because the metric system is better than English/Standard/SAE.

10. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Miles would be my preference but I don't have a speedo or computer. So for now I describe my rides by landmarks. "I rode to the river bridge on 44 then down past the Rock hill church then over to the back road to town, through town on main then across the big bridge and back to the house.

I think it impresses my wife much more than if I told her, "Well hon, I rode 10 miles today." It sounds a lot longer my way, so I may just stick with it for a while.:D

11. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

I tend to use miles because road signs here are still in miles, but I'm happy to convert to km too. Mind you, a century is more impressive (and much harder) in miles!

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Most everything in Texas is measured by the football field. But miles because telling someone i biked 100 fields makes me sound like a redneck.