Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Rola. You and your buddy AF Vets? If so, way to represent! AF retired here.

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
Yo Rola. You and your buddy AF Vets? If so, way to represent! AF retired here.
Andy is a 28 year Chief....I did 11 years, 6 months and 4 days but who's counting? My wife did 24 and retired as a Master :)

What did you do lmiles?

Andy was the Chief of maint at Langley AFB for one of the F-15 squadrons(27th if i remember right), I worked A.G.E. and my wife was Command and Control, with some time, actually a lot of time, teaching Search and rescue. She was stationed at Yorktown Coast Guard Station for that, LOTS of travel on that job!

She's a contractor now at Langley AFB working on the START stuff :cool:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you do lmiles?
20 years 10 months here. Been retired for 6 years now. But who's counting.. I was a Corrosion guy before they merged us with Sheet Metal. Painted my share of AGE equipment...(insert Mister Yuk Sticker here). Spent a majority of my career in WA. 2.5 years at Fairchild and 14 years at McChord. Had a two year stint in Guam and 1.5 years at McGuire where I retired from to come back to Wa.

Out here when riding I see a lot of guys in Army Jersey's because of Ft. Lewis. Rarely any AF Jersey's.

Not to hi-jack the thread but tonight the hi-lite of my ride will be when I do a couple of laps around an old route I used to ride on McChord to kill two hours of time while my son is at a CAP meeting. Traffic will be minimal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Does four years as an Airman count? 1964 - 68 mostly in Omaha at Offutt AFB SAC HQ 3rd floor underground. Computer work with occasional stints as projectionist in the command bunker across the hall.

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
Does four years as an Airman count? 1964 - 68 mostly in Omaha at Offutt AFB SAC HQ 3rd floor underground. Computer work with occasional stints as projectionist in the command bunker across the hall.
Of course, your a vet right:) I'm glad a never had anything to do with the ball busting SAC Command!

Cleaned up the other thread and just moved these posts here out of the way.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Works for me, Rola.
SAC was good duty for me. I learned the marketable trade of computer operation which supported me for 19 years. Noncoms got off base housing. Three 12 hour days per week with a 4th day every 3 or 4 weeks. It was almost good enough to re-up.

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
I liked being with fighter wings. We got some good TDYs, like Red Flag out at Nellis, Sembach AB Germany for a load competition and many more and once called Sure Fire and for some reason I was thinking that was at Ramstien AB Germany.

SAC was to uptight :)

I did one short tour at a training wing, Altus AFB, in Oklahoma. I did not care for that...as a matter of fact that was what ended my carrer. It was a C-5, C-141 and as I was leaving, the new ( at the time ) C-17 training wing for makey learny pilots. They did have some T-38 trainers there as well.

I spent 2 years at Spangdalhiem AB, Germany
4 years at Seymour Johnson, Goldsboro, NC.
4 years at Soesterburg AB ,De Nederlands
2 years at Altus AFB, Altus, Ok. I just knew the had misspelled Tulsa when I got order there....got out here
Followed my wife to Elmondorf AFB, Anchorage, Alaska for 4 years. Had orders to California, we're my son at the time knew he was going to be killed , and the last day before we left got a call and offered an assignment to Langley AFB, Va. And have been here ever since. I can't remember if that was 95 or 96, been a minute tho :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
20 years 10 months here. Been retired for 6 years now. But who's counting.. I was a Corrosion guy before they merged us with Sheet Metal. Painted my share of AGE equipment...(insert Mister Yuk Sticker here). Spent a majority of my career in WA. 2.5 years at Fairchild and 14 years at McChord. Had a two year stint in Guam and 1.5 years at McGuire where I retired from to come back to Wa.

Out here when riding I see a lot of guys in Army Jersey's because of Ft. Lewis. Rarely any AF Jersey's.

Not to hi-jack the thread but tonight the hi-lite of my ride will be when I do a couple of laps around an old route I used to ride on McChord to kill two hours of time while my son is at a CAP meeting. Traffic will be minimal. :thumbsup:
We're you ever in on the prop wash trick? Send an FNG to the paint shop,for some prop wash in a styrofoam cup that you all would promptly fill with gas and well you know the results.

I got into some good trouble once. I had a new 3 level and we were doing a phased inspection on a -60 turbine and I sent her to bench stock to get a new set of Fallopian tubes....that didn't work out so well for me. Got to spend a minute in the the Branch Chiefs office as he was trying not to laugh at me and cuss me out at the same time.

2 girls and they both missed it, ahhh the good times!

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Four years USAF 1965-1969, serving one year in Vietnam (1966-67) as a combat engineer on a Red Horse Team (Team 5). We were the ones that went out and built the landing strips in the boonies and rebuilt the fire bases after they were destroyed by Charlie. I was going to make the military my career until I went to Nam and saw all the chicken s^%t that went on in a combat zone (twice as much as stateside). Then I went to Guam until my discharge, doing TDY's back to Nam, mostly in Saigon.

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
am i gonna get run off this thread? Army National Guard, 5 1/2 years so far and one deployment :)
lol, why would you get run off? We forgive you for going with Army! I'm just kidding of course! I for one am glad you are serving and was even more proud to ride in the Ride2Recovery with some of your wounded brothers!!

·
1,200 Posts
lol, why would you get run off? We forgive you for going with Army! I'm just kidding of course! I for one am glad you are serving and was even more proud to ride in the Ride2Recovery with some of your wounded brothers!!
a bit out numbered :) I have mad respect for everyone who has ever served period!! all the branches are puzzle pieces to the big picture! I read about the ride to recovery would love to do it.. Also after checking out your AF classic thread considering trying to plan a trip out there next year!!!!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
a bit out numbered :) I have mad respect for everyone who has ever served period!! all the branches are puzzle pieces to the big picture! I read about the ride to recovery would love to do it.. Also after checking out your AF classic thread considering trying to plan a trip out there next year!!!!!
Dude that would be so awesome! They had men and women rofessional racing that weekend as well! Keep it in mind and let me know if you can make it happen!

****EDIT****
And yes all branches function together Like the Joint Basing they have done, Like JB Langley Eustis

·
Registered
927 Posts
Still serving... Army, 22 years and counting... I may have a couple more left in me

·
1,200 Posts
Dude that would be so awesome! They had men and women rofessional racing that weekend as well! Keep it in mind and let me know if you can make it happen!

****EDIT****
And yes all branches function together Like the Joint Basing they have done, Like JB Langley Eustis
yeah i'm not out of reason distance from there. and from what i see i think it would be a great weekend get away

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
Still serving... Army, 22 years and counting... I may have a couple more left in me
Work that retirement! Get the most out of it you can :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Air Force, '65 - '69. McGuire then RAF Bentwaters in the jolly old UK. Fireman...or as we preferred to say "crash rescue"...sounded more important! :)

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,150 Posts
I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to all current and former members of the military. Thank you for your service, your sacrifices and scars. It is a noble thing, and matters far more than most realize. Thank you, and may you all be blessed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts