Two Spoke Forums banner

Mirror, Mirror, on my bars. . .

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mars_yeldir 
#1 ·
First off, this is not a pro/anti-mirror thread, nor is it a car-driver bashing thread, just my experience.

Did a bit of riding this past week while back up in NJ. I have been in MD for just over a year, and have grown accustomed to a much stronger cycling infrastructure. In NJ, I just took it as "normal" to take your life in your hands every time you went out for a ride. Well, being back in NJ was rather. . .different.

Anyway, I installed a pair of Sprintech Drop Bar mirrors on my road bike and have been getting accustomed to them. The week before I installed a Mirrcycle mirror on my hybrid since I use that to pull my daughter around in her WeeHoo iGo and wanted an extra heads-up in addition to listening and and head checks over my shoulder.

Anyway I was on a 2 lane road, no shoulder/bike line/fog line. Up ahead is a sewer grate, but doubled up, meaning that there were two next to each other so instead of jutting out 24 inches or so from the curb it jutted out 48 inches or so. In addition this town uses grates with HUGE gaps to let water in, it would easily swallow a 23c tire. I am checking my mirror and see a silver BMW SUV coming up on me. The driver (male) points at me to his passenger (female) and I hear the exhaust roar as he aims for me, with the goal of putting me in to the sewer grate!

Luckily I slammed on my brakes as I saw this unfolding and managed to stop about 10 inches from the edge of the grate. I don't participate in confrontation on the road, especially on a bike, just not worth getting shot or hurt over. I really, really hope he gets caught one day. Unfortunately, NJ refuses to enact a "vulnerable road user" law. I never thought I'd say it, but I am glad to be in MD!

As for mirrors? They should be a necessity/required item on each bike sold. IMHO.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the sprintech mirrors and like them. I am considering buying the Cerevellum Hindsight. Rear facing camera/bike computer. I already have a Garmin and had to add stuff on the bar, but I like the Cerevellum product. I had a guy hit me in the back with a full can of Mountain Dew while he was going at least 40. Didn't hurt too bad, but I am glad I did not get the opportunity to give the guy his Mountain Dew back. I would have ended up in jail I think.

#5 ·
Back to the post. I hear the Italian Road Bike Mirror is also good and not obtrusive. The Owl 360 is another rear facing camera that is less pricey than the Cerevellum, but is a camera only (no computer). There is also a rear view camera with the display up on the helmet. Bikerumor posted about it, but I can't remember the name. Seeing what is behind you is a very good thing.

#6 ·
Mirrors came in handy again today. Rode in to work and I'm on the main drag on post; there's one of those LED road signs (on the trailer with the generator) with orange cones about 10 feet before it and maybe 6 feet behind it.

I put my left hand out to let the right lane know I'm coming off of the shoulder and in to the flow fo traffic since the trailer is blocking the entire shoulder. I look over my shoulder and there's a gap. As I'm coming over the white line a car guns it to beat me past the sign/trailer which I see as I do one last check in the mirror. Well, not wanting to take a passenger side mirror to the ribcage, I swerved through the cones.

The kicker? She had a bike on her truck rack!

#7 ·
Man...... What is wrong with people? I know folks who have totaled cars and injured themselves for dogs in the road (I love dogs but I am not dying for one), but you let them see a cyclist on the road and it seems like they couldn't give a $&!t less whether the cyclist lives or dies. And when somebody does hit a person on a bike, even if they are at fault, many times they are not charged with anything unless they are drunk. This drives me crazy. These idiots will pass in blind curves, at hill crests or anywhere else they happen to be. I have seen at least six near head on collisions because these morons won't wait 20 or even 10 seconds for a safe spot to pass.

Well, I am talking myself down a bit. There are many good drivers out there and I see lots of courteous ones. I guess being on a bike puts a person in very close contact with the driving public and makes one aware of the bad drivers on the road.

I am glad you saw this one and saved yourself! You would think that a fellow cyclist would realize what a poor choice was being made there.

#10 ·
Yep..... That's right. Just like owning a pocket knife doesn't make you a surgeon!

I can understand if a driver doesn't see the cyclist for some reason like the sun was in their eyes. In this case though, it appears that the driver clearly saw you and made a poor choice without regard for the safety of a person.

In the end, the accident was avoided. Very glad you are ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.