Mirrors?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Farnsworth, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I got harassed by an old man yesterday that I didn't have mirrors. I thought maybe I should get some but I don't think it's illegal to operate with out them? Do you guys use them? I saw some thing in the Bike shop that was a helmet mounted mirror. Wouldn't that block Visibility?

2. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Hi, Farnsworth -

I ride a recumbent, and mirrors are IMO necessary at least for recumbents since it is harder to turn your head to look behind you than it is on a DF bike. On my DF I can duck my head and be looking behind (past my shoulder). That said, I use a mirror on my Trek as well.

I have two Mirrycle mirrors with Evo mounting hardware on my V3. I am very favorably impressed with the Mirrycle's construction and adjustability. They aren't cheap, but they don't move once set. They also are minimally convex just enough to widen the field of view without creating enough distortion to make judging distances a problem. They also work well at night, which to me is the true test of a mirror. If you can judge an oncoming car's distance in the mirror at night, it's a good mirror.

3. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I had them on my bikes when I was a kid my parent insisted on it. I like to think of myself as beyond the need for it. I don't know anywhere were they're the law though.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I used to ride with (and still have it after nearly 20 years!) one of those little mirrors that go on your glasses. But you have to use it like a car or motorcycle mirror - it's only there to confirm the presence of a vehicle or threat, not the absence of one.

5. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

6. Engyo

My problem with bar-end mirrors is that on my Trek I have bar-end shifters already in place, and on the V3 the bar-ends are pointed in a direction that most bar-end mirrors won't conveniently adjust for.

The other problem with the V3 is that the bar ends are low enough that I wanted a handlebar mount to get some additional height for a better viewing angle - one that is in my general range of vision while in a normal riding position.

This may also have to do with lineless bifocals - I need to turn my head if the mirrors are outside of my normal view field to be able to focus on the image in the mirror(s).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

8. Engyo

Believe me I'm not down on bar-end mirrors; they just didn't work for my two specific bikes. For most bikes they are a great way to add mirrors.

9. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, I didn't take it as that. I just wanted to comment on those in case someone else was looking for road mirrors and came upon this thread.

10. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

I wear bifocals and use a helmet mounted mirror.
    It helps that I can slightly turn my head and check blind spots.
    I always had too much vibration with bar mounted mirrors.

11. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I've never run a mirror on a bike in my life. Getting ready to turn 51, and still here.

If they work for you, or you want them, run them. If you don't want to, or can't be bothered to, don't.

If you're approached by a self-righteous old man who wants to lecture you about it, flip him off and pedal away. None o' hiz biz....

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I never wear a helmet and sometimes get the self-righteous, angry old men too. (most are around 50) While I don't flip anyone off, I do wave and smile. This is more fun for it disarms the brutes.

13. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I use the mirror that mount on sunglasses. Works fine but i'd like to have the helmet mounted mirror. It even works well enough to check out the lady's butts after I pass them. LOL! The mirror is like the helmet for me, I'm not comfortable without it.

Next time someone lectures you tell 'em,

"Oh yeah? My grandfather lived to be 105."

"Did he use a mirror?"

"No but he did mind his own f#@%^ing business."

14. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

LMAO! Better than the finger!

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Damn good advice.

16. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I'm going to try that next time. I'm afraid the old man that gave me hell would snap it off and eat it. Gruff looking dude.

17. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

Would you act that way to your dad?

Could it be that we are so self important that any suggestion must be treated with contempt? Maybe its just these sights that let you act out the hostility without any repercussions.

A fellow I know thinks all law abiding citizens should be forced to have a gun on there person "because a armed population is a civil one." do you think he was right?

mike Frye

18. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

If you check the laws in your state you might find you nead a bell besides a mirror. :hate:

19. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

In Australia, you need a bell, working brakes, lights for riding at night, and a helmet. At $50 an infringement, that works out to a $200 ticket. And I've seen it happen.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I do.