Mirrors

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Jina, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jina

Jina Guest

I'd like to use a mirror, but I've never found one that works for me. I like the look of my bike too much to add one of those big things to the bars, but when I've tried those tiny ones that attach to the helmet or glasses, I can't ever seem to get them lined up so that I can see a car approaching from behind. If I'm in the drops, I need one position, while the hoods need another, etc.
    What do you guys recommend?

2. rayswrld

rayswrld New Member

I have one that attaches to the helmet with a two sided sticky pad. I have to adjust it every time I put the helmet on, having bumped it at least once in taking the helmet off or on. Once adjusted there is really no way to have it both ways, on the hoods or in the drops. I just adjust it for the hoods which is where I do most of my riding.

3. curly

curly curly

4. froze

froze Banned

I think a mirror it's one of the best defensive items a cyclist can have. You just have to find one that works for you. I use one that attaches to my sunglasses and works great. I can turn my head a little to view more of an area without having to move my body around on the bike to see in a bike attached mirror. I use this mirror: http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-Cycling-Eyeglass-Mirror/dp/B001VTQNVO I paid $7 for it.

5. ksr5

ksr5 Active Member Tavern Member

6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I tried several different ones. Ones that attach to sunglasses,helmets, bar ends and in the end I decided I really couldn't see a [email protected]@ thing! I did have to learn a safe way to look behind me I will admit. I found as I turned to look I was drifting the direction I was turning to look to. That was VERY dangerous. I learned to remove a hand from the side I was turning to to keep me straight. I don't look back enough to worry anyway I always try and look forward :D

7. froze

froze Banned

I'll be honest, I don't use the mirror when I'm just riding, I use it only when commuting and touring. Touring it's important because you don't want to be looking over your shoulder and worry about weaving with a heavy loaded bike. Most tourists ride with a mirror. Commuting is important because I ride on busy streets and it's kind of nice to get an idea what's behind me. Otherwise most of my riding is done without a mirror. But once you get use to a mirror is nice to have, and I really like the mirror I showed on Amazon, it's the Bike Peddler mirror, and it gives a pretty good field of vision.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

For the last 4 or 5 years I've used a Take-A-Look, but attached to my helmet rather than my glasses. I, too, don't like to ride without it.

I like the way an MSF instructor described mirror use. He said "Mirrors have a one word vocabulary. They can only say No". The idea is to check the mirror, and if you see traffic, don't move. But if it looks clear, you still have to do a visual check. The reason is that all mirrors have blind spots, and the only way to be sure it's safe to change lane position is to do an actual look-over-the-shoulder scan.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Many roadies look down to look back, ie between their legs. On a recumbent a mirror is an absolute must.

10. froze

froze Banned

??? Don't you mean looking down under your arms to look behind? I would find that very difficult to look down between my legs to see what's behind me!!

11. mcqz

mcqz New Member

My bride and I use "Third Eye" mirrors. We both wear spectacles and have a pair dedicated to biking with clip-on sunglasses and the Third Eye on the left lens. They are unobtrusive enough that we could wear them on our "regular" glasses, but we'd spend too much time explaining the purpose of the "spot" on our glasses. Interestingly, I am very near-sighted, but I see pretty well in the Third Eye, better than I do with a look over my shoulder.

As pointed out in an earlier post, mirrors are most useful for an immediate "NO" but they are also helpful in keeping track of followers when leading a group ride.

12. DaveGlebus

DaveGlebus New Member

I found a great mirror at penn cycle, which is a helmet mount made by a company called EVT (efficient velo tools) it is very flexible and re-positionable. It does permanently mount to the helmet and when I'm on group rides I don't really use it. When I commute, however, it is indispensible. The fact that it is permanently mounted resulted in my recent purchase of a second helmet, for my weekend rides on trails and group rides.

13. DaveGlebus

DaveGlebus New Member

Duplicate post

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  14. Bluevoss

Bluevoss New Member

I've never found a mirror that works. I've tried them mounted on my helmet and bike, and I find myself spending way too much time trying to figure out what I'm looking at.

But someone made a good point. Always look back. Had a car creep up on me without headlights in the gloom today. Looked back, almost came out, frowned, looked back hard, holy ####!

15. chi-trekker

chi-trekker New Member

I use the Mircycle bar end, and wouldn't want to be without it. For years I've also ridden motorcycles and scooters so I guess i've developed the techniques and practice. I'm not a "roadie" I guess, for me it's bike for transport, so anything that makes me safer and the ride easier I will use. And I turn for a make sure look before making a move out into a lane. The Mircycle stays where I want it and gives a good few of the road behind. A slight adjustment and I can also watch my trailer. My handlebars are not drop bars but more straightish and level, I'm sure that makes a diffence too.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  16. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

Mirror, Mirror on your head

I have been using a Take A Look mirror for years now. The only problem is that my new glasses are too weak to hold on to them, so I have to switch back to my old set to do any riding. I just got a new one and its small enough so I keep it in my wallet when I am not riding. I switched over to a Electra cruiser and with that stile of riding that it offers you definitely need a mirror.

turns out that the guy who thought it up had a bike shop and dreamed up the design at his kitchen table, started to make them and later sold his shop and that's all he does. I think they still come with a lifetime warranty. Five bucks and he will mail you a new one. I handed in one I had worn all of the mirror off in eighteen years of riding and got another new one back.

mike:)

17. Bluevoss

Bluevoss New Member

I've added a "Roadie" to the left-side handlebar cap. Not sure if I like it or not. It dosn't stay where I set it so I've always got to move it before looking, but I'm getting used to that.

I'm not sure if its just impractical or if its like that thing the Car-Talk guys said about adjusting your car mirrors way, way out. For the first week, I was convinced it was bad advice - the side motion nearly made me sick. But now I'm good with it - can't imagine driving with them tucked in.

So maybe its that way with this goofy handlebar mirror.

18. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

A month ago I got a handlebar mirror, replaces the end plug on the bar. (Dunno the brand, was about $12 at my favorite LBS). It is absolutely a great addition, you can see cars coming up on you long before you can hear them. Easier than turning around to look. Like one of the posts above noted, you need to tighten/realign it each ride, but this is no big deal.

19. salvage_bikes

salvage_bikes Banned

I like that one a lot. It "lies" a little bit about the distance of the vehicle following, but the image is very clear, and it does not vibrate, even on a motor assisted bicycle.

I have the Mirrycycle mirror that goes in the end of the handlebar. I got it for $10 in the bargain bin. [​IMG]

The ATV mirrors from Wally world work really well, but are heavy like moped mirrors. You can unscrew the stalk and leave the clamp on the bike though, if you don't need to use the mirror that day.

[​IMG]

20. salvage_bikes

salvage_bikes Banned

Here's a helmet-adapter for it.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPP_...hopeng&utm_medium=productLink&skuID=PP-400TAL
    $4 and shipping, about $8 total

There are other helmet mount mirrors for about $10-20, I think most of them permanently bond to the plastic on helmet. They bother me. I like the mirror on the bike.