Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife & I are ecstatic owners of new carbon road bikes. We ride about 3x per week on a MUP that is about 35-40 minutes a way. To say we are enjoying the ride is an understatement. The only problem is that you need an extra 1 1/2 hr in travel time just to get the ride in. The other problem is that we have a limestone trail 5 minutes less than 5 minutes from our house. We debated trying to ride the roadies with the 23C tires on the limestone but it didn't seem like a good idea or safe. We have heavy 10yr old Raleigh Comfort hybrids that we used to ride on the limestone but we can't seem to motivate ourselves to get back on the heavy beasts after riding the carbon roadies. After much deliberation we have decided on new flat bar road bike hybrids (Raleigh Cadent FT-3) - heck of a deal at $750 each. Now I am waiting on the extra cash for the weekend seminar I worked to get these bad boys and I am chomping at the bit. It will also allow me to add an extra ride or two per week into my schedule. Also considering riding it to work and back as long as the weather holds - any commuters that travel the limestone to work - any recommendations ??

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,135 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 23c tires; ever hear of pave (pronounced pah-vay)? Or the dirt routes along the Giro? And those are run on tubulars. . .

Allez! Allez! Allez!

Vai! Vai! Vai!
Interesting. I didn't think this was even possible! Not implying anything about Knee's honesty, either - I just had no idea. My local MUP has a section of hardpack/gravel road just over a mile long. 99% of skinny-tire cyclists are stopped dead in their tracks by it - even those who know the pavement resumes - literally - within sight of the start of the dirt.

I spoke to one woman who claimed she will sometimes walk her bike over the dirt to reach the pavement on the other side?!?! On the rare occasion I see a cyclist with drop bars on the dirt section, their tires are visibly fatter/wider than the normal roadies I see on the pavement - though still much skinnier than my 42c fatties.

Aside from me on my tourer, the dirt tends to belong to MTB and Hybrid cyclists. The roadies I've spoken to about it all cite fear of flats and/or bike damage as their reason for sticking to the pavement. Interesting/funny to hear it can be done on REALLY skinny tires!

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I ride sections of gravel, crushed stone paths and broken up pavement on 23's. A pot hole out on a paved road would do more damage to a road bike then riding on an unpaved trail at a reasonable speed.
Road bike tires and rims are not fragile by a long shot. A large portion of Hybrid bikes are built using the same wheels as road bikes.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
I think for most roadies it's mostly a vanity thing. Worried about chips in paint or wheels more than anything, don't care to do it either but....

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not worried about the bike - I am more worried about my safety on limestone with skinnies

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do "up" bars on the end of these type of bars interfere with the shifting - I am used to a twist shift - not sure about these new type of shifters ??

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
You will be OK adding bar ends to your bike. They will not intefere with shifting or braking.

If you have any post a picture of the riding surface of Limestone path.

Your new bikes will have no problem on just about any riding surface. Your riding skill level will dictate your safety. Only you know your limitations and risk level. Dont take any chances that you are not comfortable with.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Do "up" bars on the end of these type of bars interfere with the shifting - I am used to a twist shift - not sure about these new type of shifters ??
If by "up" bars you mean bar ends, they should be fine. It's easy to check. Just bring the bike into the bike shop and see how well the bar ends align on the bars.

The 700x32 Vittori Randonneur tires on that bike are plenty wide for crushed limestone and even most gravel roads. My wife has the same tires on her Jamis Aurora, and has continued on gravel roads when some very experienced riders on 23s or even 28s have turned back.

I wouldn't want to ride on sand, very loose gravel, or very dry, soft dirt with them. But I wouldn't want to ride that stuff with my 26x1.75s either.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
That's a money shot biker!

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
... Also considering riding it to work and back as long as the weather holds - any commuters that travel the limestone to work - any recommendations ??
If you're going to commute in wet or snowy weather you might consider fenders. They'll keep the drivetrain clean. You can easily remove them for nice weather rides.

If you want to haul more stuff than you can pack in your pockets, consider a messenger bag or a rear rack and trunk bag.

I like rear racks. For both around town and touring I like the Topeak systems. The Topeak rear rack will act as a partial rear fender as well as hold the trunk bag.
Topeak rear rack - (1.3 lbs) can be used with touring panniers for long trips if desired. Can hold up to 50 lbs.
Topeak trunk bag - (2.7 lbs) plenty of room for grocery runs and office stuff, plus, with the drop down panniers, can be used for 2 or 3 day inn-to-inn trips

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will be OK adding bar ends to your bike. They will not intefere with shifting or braking.

If you have any post a picture of the riding surface of Limestone path.

Your new bikes will have no problem on just about any riding surface. Your riding skill level will dictate your safety. Only you know your limitations and risk level. Dont take any chances that you are not comfortable with.
Been thinking on this and I think I will leave the bar ends off for now - want to give the new type handlebars a try - I only switch grips when my hands are going numb - don't do any climbing - and if I get frame size & seat height right I should be ok - finally got it right on the road bike and don't seem to have much of a problem with numbness

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picking up new limestone bikes for my wife & I tomm - and then off for a trail ride - let you know how it goes on skinnier tires - still 32C but skinnier than the old comfort hybrid

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the bikes for our virgin Limestone ride - haven't been on the trail since buying the Carbon Trek Madone's - If any of you are curious about weights - Madone 4.5 with 3 bottle holders. speedo & Shimano Dual Pedal system A530, bag, SMALL mirrors = 21 lbs, New Aluminum Raleigh Cadent FT-3 (last years model) with carbon fork, Large Mirrors, speedo, Shimano Dual Pedal system PD324, bag, 2 bottle holders = 26 lbs, & 10 year old Raleigh C40 steel comfort hybrid slimmed down a bit, F'zik seat, bag, Large Mirrors, Egg Beater Pedal system, 3 bottle holders, UpGrips on the Handle Bars =35 lbs - IT does make a difference in fun ! Best ever time on the trail in horrible wind but better yet it felt great !

Not sure why the pic shows up upside down

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Nice!
Is that a trick to try an make us flip our laptops and whatnot around ?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Nice!
Is that a trick to try an make us flip our laptops and whatnot around ?
It's to keep those people with phones busy. :D I assume your Ipad would be similar in function in that it keeps flipping the picture as you flip the ipad?

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Yup it sure does Hazy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts