Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some steel bikes give better feedback to the rider. This 62cm Miyata 110 road bike in Triple butted CroMoly main tubing does that plus good geometry. I have found the old Miyata bikes are worth a look for cost and build quality. I set this one up in 9 speed Ultegra and have passed more then a few carbon wonders out there. It's 27" wheels converted to 700 with long reach brakes. If you find a Miyata that is your size you may want to consider it. These bikes are cheep to buy and deliver a very good ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All thats required is long reach road brakes. Most LR work for reaches from 41mm to 56mm from the center of the brake bolt to the center of the braking surface. I have even had 700 forks made up for some but it's a little costly. Venturing into old steel is FUN but can be challenging, not for every body. I do steer clear of odd weak seat posts clamps and Italian bottom bracket stuff, but thats just me. This 62cm LeMond Zurich in Reynolds 853 high strength, 210,00 psi, heat treated, air hardened steel alloy in 700 wheels . ...
. Another good bike to look for.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Miyata worth a look at? Their more then worth just a look! I think Miyata's triple butted splined tube set was the best steel tube set ever made back then, in fact aside from weight I bet it would challenge modern steel frame bikes today and win. I have two Miyata's myself, a 87 Team I bought new, and a 85 912 I got used. Both use the Spline technology and both are the stiffest of all my bikes including Valite quad butted, Reynolds 531cs dbl butted, Reynolds 725 dble butted, or Tenax dble butted frames; and you can feel the stiffness when hammering those bikes just want to fly.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Nice lookin roadies love those old classic lugged frames

·
Registered
13 Posts
Miyata made great bikes. I sold them for a while, and was very happy with both the product and the company. One from the 80's era will last for decades, because of all the great Japanese quality construction and parts. Not like today's junk that wears out in a year or less.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Right on, Pverity. Sharp ride , a very tight bike the 110 . Had one myself, but it was too small . A recurrent theme when you're 6'3"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts