montague dx

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Anne, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Anne

Anne Guest

I'm new to cycling in San Francisco and am looking for a full-size, folding, middle of the road quality bike for 10-20 mile rides with hills. I've been looking at the montague dx but have no idea how to evaluate the quality of the components--I don't need high end but don't want to pay $450 for "walmart quality". Does anyone have views on the dx? Thanks!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. Industry_Hack

Just looked it up. Kinda cheap. You're paying a lot for folding.

4. Anne

Anne Guest

Thanks for the feedback. When you say cheap, I assume you mean the quality of the components. Can you make a guess what price range it would be in if it didn't fold?
    I really want the folding because I often have a morning ride followed by work, stops at the grocery store etc. and duty as a soccer mom without a chance to return the bike to home. It would disappear off a bike rack and I need the space inside the car for kids. I've also been looking into a couple of Dahon models which don't fold quite as small and are more expensive but maybe better quality??? The Dahon Matrix seems like over-kill and I'm not sure some of the others like the Jack or Cadenza p16 could handle S.F. hills.
    Any thoughts on the different folding options?
    Thanks for the help!

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Any chance for a bike carrier on the car with a good cable & lock?

6. Industry_Hack

What speed do you generally ride at? Smaller wheels can be more efficient under 20MPH. One of the options I would consider is Downtube.