More Off Road to my Trekking Bike!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by QueSera, Mar 23, 2010.

1. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Well, as a person grows, so do his needs (or wants)…

I chose to return to cycling after many years with a trekking bike in order to maintain flexibility and pinpoint my playground later on as a grown up and better informed rider.

As time goes by I find that my routes take me to the mountain more and more. Thank God I chose the sportster that has proven a tough and loyal friend to take with me.
    But a potent frame alone can’t cope with the terrain as I rise my speed. So I had to make decisions…

I decided to stay with the Sportster and upgrade those parts that will enhance the off-road profile of the bike.

Tires will be changing to schwalbe Smart Sams 700x40c any day now, and the plan includes both the rear and front mechs to be replaced with Shimano XT parts. I also consider the fork, but I will keep this one for some more time to keep budget in control.

Aesthetically I chose a Laser V WTB saddle – weight benefit as well here, and a red Hope saddle clamp to add some color and match the red details of the saddle.

I think the bottom bracket, chainset and cranks will do the job just fine for a long time.

If you have any proposals I would be glad to listen to them and any upgrade experiences with trekking bikes is also very welcome!

PS: initially I thought about changing to a mountain bike altogether but then I dropped the idea since I want tarmac to stay in the menu and since my off-road demands are covered to a great extent with the Sportster as is stands.

2. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

It depends on how rought the area is you will be traveling and the weight your bike is caring but an upgrade to better wheels will help. Sure keep you from walking out.

3. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Well, this is true, but very costly…

My main consideration is to keep cost as low as possible (always related to performance gain of course). So, in case I will be moving to an mtb for the trails, I would not have been wasting too much money on the Sportster.
    In that case I will be left with a good all-round trekking bike and an mtb.

4. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Well, decisions have been made!

As I'm (still) waiting for my tires to arrive, a second order is on it's way home.

I decided to completely upgrade everything in the drive chain along with a 9 speed cassette and new gear shifters to cope with it.

So, the front and rear derailers will be upgraded to XT 770 - shadow for the rear.
    The crankset will be changing to Shimano Deore LX - integrated bottom bracket.
    Shimano HG80 1-34 9speed cassette and chain.
    Deore SLX rapid-shift 9 speed gear shifters.

I hope the upgrade will have a strong impact on the bike, which I consider very good as it is.

The saddle change alone improved comfort by far.

Cost wise, It is still a cheaper bike than a P1, and the specs are getting really close.

Most probably a couple of weeks after Orthodox Easter - mid April I guess - the bike will be assembled and eventually test driven. Should I hold my breath? I think not!

5. noneed429r

noneed429r Recovering Retrogrouch

I think that it is cool you are doing some moderate off-roading on your hybrid.
    It kind of reminds me of a few weeks ago while I was riding one of my MTBs out here in the desert around Las Vegas, Nevada. I was on a somewhat bumpy trail in the Cottonwood Canyon area . The typical bikes you see there are full suspension bikes and as I ride a hardtail I am usually in the minority myself.
    Well, as I was riding down the trail, I saw coming the opposite direction this guy on a drop bar cross bike. He had maybe 700x 38c tires max. He had no problem climbing up the somewhat rocky trail. I just had to say out loud to him
    " Yeah, rockin' the cross bike...righteous"

6. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Thanx!

The bike is so much better now...

But still there is room for improvement. Last week I rode with a friend on a nearby mountain, when some really hard terrain appeared. I had a hard time keeping myself on the bike and I also tried his all mountai on the same spot. It was like riding a magic carpet...

I think that the fork was the most striking difference. His would absorb the bumps something like 80% more and thus allowed the bike to follow the path without any effort.

I really wonder what would become of a trekking bike equiped with a Rock Shox Reba SL 29er fork...

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I am liking your upgrades but a fue photos would be nice :D :thumbsup:

8. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

please accept my apologies...I will try to respond soon!;)

9. noneed429r

I can see you wanting a more plush fork. Although back when I started mountain biking in 1987, every trail we rode was on a rigid fork and we still made it through OK :rolleyes:

10. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

One thing that is not so visible is that the terrain differs in every country, not to mention each area...

In Greece most moyntains are very rocky with the rock not just lying on the surface, but being burried in the ground with sharp parts of it making it to the surface. This is so usual that you face it on forest roads and trails as well.

The difference between the Suntour - which is hardly capable for any off road situation and the rock shox (if I remember correctly) was huge and immediate.
    I would buy one in a heartbeat.

But still...

I wonder how the bike will be after a major tweaking like that. This change will affect the bike as a whole. Hmmm...I just don't know...

11. noneed429r

I'm sure you have alot of sharp rocks there in Greece. But I can't imagine a more rocky place to ride than here in Southern Nevada. We have a type of lava rock here that is like the surface of a giant cheese grater, similar to broken coral. It will lacerate a leg and shred a tire's sidewall.

Have you considered also that on a hybrid bike about the max tire size available will be a 45 to 47c width. Which is only equal to a 1.8" to 1.9" mtb tire. Most mountain bikes run at least 2.1" to 2.3" width nowadays which does make a considerable difference in shock absorption and protection from rocks. A lot of people here in the western US run 2.4" or even 2.5" tires (at least in the front) just because of all the rocks. Even with a more serious fork on your hybrid you will still will be on relatively narrow tires for rocky terrain.
    So I would just play to your hybrid bikes strength (faster and more nimble on pavement, dirt roads and smooth trails) and just take it a bit slower on the rough, rocky stuff.

12. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

It's always nice to know someone can feel your pain (when riding on rocks).

Another thing I keep thinking about is that all these accessories may well end up on some 29er Fs frame next year.

But still I love the Sportster!

And nonetheless there is NOBODY in Greece riding those trails I do with a hybrid. In a way I feel like a pioneer!!!

13. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Sounds like a cool build. Got any photos?

14. noneed429r

:thumbsup:

15. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Pics or it never happend...lol

16. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

You guys are forcing me to clean up the monster… I’ll try this week…:D

17. wild

Clean it. Getting down and dirty is half the fun :thumbsup:

18. noneed429r

Be careful QueSera, a clean bike is the sign of a dirty mind !

19. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Ok guys!

Clean bike & clean mind from Greece...

This is the bike upgraded, but it will not be like this for long... soon the fork will be replaced and the handlebar will become somewhat longer for imporoved control.

Keep on trekking!

:D:D:D

Attached Files:

20. wild