Two Spoke Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
DAD x 2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, thank you!

The upcoming upgrade is going to be just as exciting and even more crucial!

I already got my hands on a pair of Formula Oro K24 hydro brakes together with 180/ 160 XT rotors.

Week 26 is going to bring me a RockShox SL Dual Air 29” and as a final touch a Syntace Duraflite Carbon bar.

I can hardly wait to finish what started as a wish for a truly universal bike, able to handle 80% of what I throw at it from commuting to trail riding, excluding extremes (that necessarily require special gear).

Stay put!!!

I will be publishing impressions and photos as soon as I step forward.

Money wise, the whole thing has reached the - completely out of budget – amount of $ 2000 by now… :hate:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi QueSera

Hi guys , came across this site the other week. And wanted to join to say hi and to say thanks to QueSera for his postings. - Thats why I have joined.

Last year , I got a Sportster 09 model which has been fantastic for all the riding I been doing. Hadn't riden for like 15 years so it was a welcome return.

QueSera , I will be taking your lead and upgrading bike as per your recommendations. Thanks for your postings

·
DAD x 2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's nice to hear someone benefits from your experience! ;)

I just got back from my vacation where I used the bike in different situations and I would like to post some thoughts...

The Sportster is a chameleon of a bike! It performs pretty well both on the road and on the track.

On the road it is a real blessing compared to any other "real mountain bike" because of the geometry and the gearings (48/36/26). You can go pretty fast and pretty comfortable for long rides - I covered a 40 km distance every second day with no problems at all.

On the track, I also find it very potent. I can ride long XC rides and never feel I miss a "real mtb". I always lessen the pressure in the tyres considerably when off-road biking and this works well.

My current tyres prove a great choise wherever you use them, I find the off-road grip excellent on both rough and loose terain (never tried wet though). Only problem that you cannot go any wider on the rear - I don't know if I would, but it's always good to have the option. Current width is 700x40c. No problem with the front.

STill using the Suntour NEX, since my order for that Reba never arrived, and I think this is the most serious upgrade for anyone wishing to use the bike off-road... and the reba SL 29er is the best option taking into account the cost/ performance criterion.

Also...

new photow will be posted soon to show all the new parts.

Keep on trekking!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi QueSera

Great Pics - looks and reads like you have done a lot of up-grading. I am most interested in your choice of tyres. In addition to the Continental 37mm it came with I have a second set of 28mm Vittoria I put on when I am just on the road and it makes a big difference.

Also considering upgrades such as the ones you have done - esp to fork.

Bike rides well - easy to do 60 - 80 km rides - and feels pretty good on road and off-road. Looking to do more off-road through some of the trials close to home and keen to see if the upgrades do make a difference. I know upgrading tyres would make a difference already!!

·
DAD x 2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi QueSera

Great Pics - looks and reads like you have done a lot of up-grading. I am most interested in your choice of tyres. In addition to the Continental 37mm it came with I have a second set of 28mm Vittoria I put on when I am just on the road and it makes a big difference.

Also considering upgrades such as the ones you have done - esp to fork.

Bike rides well - easy to do 60 - 80 km rides - and feels pretty good on road and off-road. Looking to do more off-road through some of the trials close to home and keen to see if the upgrades do make a difference. I know upgrading tyres would make a difference already!!
I am pretty satisfied with the Smart Sams for the price!

It all depends on what use you intend to do more. In my case it's almost 50-50, but since a road bike is on the wish-list, I think the Sportster will get more dirt...

In that case - and given the rear triangle limits my choices - I will most probably get a wider tyre in the front. Maybe a Racing Ralph or something not so wide.

Fork-wise, I finally managed to find a Reba team 29er on ebay and expect to receive it soon. Problem is the front hub is incompatible and has to be replaced, which means a lot of trouble.
However there is a lot of gain to be expected. The fork on the Sportster is a joke really.
Which REALLY makes me wonder: if the bike handles like this with the NEX crap, how on earth will it perform with the Reba ???

Rest Quesera, the answers are coming...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi QueSera,

Great thread this. I too have gone on an upgrading spree with my 2010 P3 sportster. All that is left of the original now is the frame, the wheels and the fork.

The fork is a NEX 4610 V2 HLO 700c. This is the last part of the bike which I am considering upgrading, but I am having a really hard time justifying the upgrade.

Remote lockout alone doesn't cut it for me since I have no trouble reaching down to adjust the travel mid-cycle, and I expect I will still have to move my hand from the bars to reach the remote. A weight saving with remote lockout again doesn't do it for me. More travel, remote lockout and a good weight saving would do it though. To this end I am looking at a Suntour NRX S RLD 700c with 75mm travel (when I can find someone that sells it). Do you have any thoughts about this?

Also, I am having a lot of trouble finding out how much the NEX 4610 actually weighs. Do you happen to know? Maybe you've weighed it sometime in your tinkerings.

Many thanks,

madbiker

·
DAD x 2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi Madbiker!

You're so right about the upgrade!

The great gain about a replacement fork is the handling that gets so much better in every terain.

At present I would look for a RockShox Recon that for the asking price employ a lot of technology...

The eventual wall you will come to hit with the sportster is the rear tyre clearance.

Then there is no ther way but to change the frame...

Frustrating as this might be I found that I can easily end up with two great bikes instead of one...

A nice 29er frame with all the upgrade parts for the mountain and the sportster with most of the original parts for commuting!

I also earned so much experience and insight to bike maintenance over this quest...

The NEX is a really poor fork, this is given, but I wouldn't know the weight. Never found it on the web...

Hope you make all the right decisions and enjoy riding! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys,

I did chase up our local importer of Scott bikes and found out from them that the NEX 4610 fork weighs 2.6kg!

·
DAD x 2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wow!

Which makes my current Reba team 1 kg !!!!!! less...

The NEX is for use on tarmac and a tiny bit of forest road.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts