Most bike damage?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by BikingViking, Sep 4, 2009.

1. BikingViking

BikingViking Guest

I was just curious what is the most damage you have ever seen to a BMX?

I used to throw mine down road and try to trash it for fun then keep on riding it...

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've seen vids of them breaking in half. I think someone actually posted one up here recently. In general, they're pretty durable bikes, but anything can be broken.

3. bkrsquad

bkrsquad Guest

LOL Have you ever actually broke it by tossing it down a cliff or anything? Seems like they are alot harder to break without a person over a hundred pounds on it

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Back in 83 I bought a used BMX bike. It was a Raleigh. It had been acquired by this old man who put skinny forks on it, it had a street tread on the front and a slick with square shoulders on the rear. After I bought it I changed the forks, rims, and seat out on it. I was riding it with my friend and another kid came up and said it was his bike. I quickly told him it wasn't. He said "oh no not like that it was my bike I got rid of it while ago."

He then continued to tell a story of him riding on the sandrock (some sandrock cliffs in town above some houses). He had wrecked and the bike went launching of of the cliffs and crashed through the skylight of a house about 60-70 feet below, ending up in a water feature that was under the skylight. We knew who lived in the house and figured we would be able to find out if it was true. Before we were able to find out if it was true we ran into him again and he showed me the paperwork he had from the police department when he registered the bike. And the serial number stamped on the BB matched the police paperwork.

About a month later when we got back to school we asked the girl who lived in the house about the story. She verified that it did happen. They were not home when it happened but when they got home the cops were there with the kid and his parents. The story was told, they went in to find the bike. After all of the paperwork and it was over the kid rode the bike home. I rode that bike for years. Jumped it over 40' straight line on paved road. Bunny hopped over the hoods of cars. Broke a crank and changed out to a 53 tooth one piece crank from an old 3 speed. I beat that bike and it never broke. I put over 160 miles a week on that bike went through tires like they were candy but it held up and did me good for years. It ended up behind the barn with a stack of bike parts that years later my dad hauled off to the junk man.

Bikes will hold up to a lot of abuse but sometimes all it takes is one bad hit at a bit of an odd angle and it is over bike is broke.

5. dontcrash

dontcrash Guest

I think the most damage I've seen would be from a car running it over...

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Whatever you do post pics. That would be great.

7. Cycle

Cycle Guest

That's a sad story Grape Ape. I teared up a little.

8. bikermandan

bikermandan Guest

Does anyone know of a company that does extreme reviews on bikes like taking them and doing extreme crash / stress testing to check frame and component strength?

9. crazystreet

crazystreet Guest

That would be interesting...

like how much pressure it takes to break the frame...

10. Biker

Biker New Member

If there isn't one they should start. I'd love to see a bike advertised as undestuctable then they hurl it out a plane.

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I volunteer to be the destroyer. Now all I need is some companies to give me a bunch of bikes to destroy. I will ride them until they are destroyed. Even if it takes years and years to do it.;)

Preferred bike types for testing would be the high end full suspension mountain bikes and carbon fiber road bikes worth in excess of $10k. Industry Hack, do your magic and talk to your insiders and see if we can get this thing going.

12. Biker

Biker New Member

I support your bid as a professional Bike tester. Industry Hack get this man a job.

13. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 New Member

I've seen a few things, I remember in 98 there was a national at the local track and a guy broke his spin front wheel on a jump, another time a guy nose cased a double and the downtube on his brand new dk folded in on itself, I also bent a set of forks forward, then bent a set backwards the next week, I also cracked both cups of my headset and broke the headtube welds on my schwinn. There was also another guy who snapped the headtube right off his bike coming up short on the 27' triple.

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

When we were kids, my friend was up to no good, which necessitated a fast getaway on a service road behind some condos. He hit a downed tree at full speed, collapsing the front of his frame, right behind the head tube.

15. JeepComanche

JeepComanche New Member

I seen a set of forks break and plenty of rims waffled beyond repair. But thats not very impressive now that i think about it...

16. bikeman648

bikeman648 New Member

Once this guy went off a huge jump and when he landed his foot slipped off the pedal then he some how landed on his feet but his bike hit the face of the next jump and made his back rim look like a "s" it was crazy lol