Motorized bicycles

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Garilia, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Why?

I needed to get some bike time yesterday, and didn't have the time to take the MTB to a park, so I just rode it around the neighborhood. I was catching up to a woman riding a bike around the neighborhood, it looked like she was coasting. I saw a red tail light blink on and off once, then she went back onto the road and sped up. Without pedaling. It was then that I heard the motor.

I'm not sure what the point of riding a motorized bicycle like that is/was.

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Oh...you have opened a can of warms now Garila! I happen to agree with you, it's pointless from an exercise point of view but you should search that topic here and see what comes up.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I don't get it either. Anything less than an 883 is just silly. ;)

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

It is easy and relatively cheap. It is also in many cases illegal. In Texas you can ride an electric powered bike on streets, but only streets that have a speed limit IIRC of up to 35mph. Take the electric motor off and you can ride on the many if not most highways. A gas engine puts it in the moped/scooter mode which means a tag and liability insurance as well as a license. Please don't take this as the legal gospel. It was from a quick read years ago when I first considered this and decided against it. It could be different now or I could be wrong (as any regular knows I often am) but its a very different status once any engine goes on and it will be different from state to state and country to country.

5. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

motorized bicycle = fake boobs

Unnecessary and just wrong.

6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Fatboy or bust!

7. Industry_Hack

8. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Well I know there's a whole motorized bike forum. Like I said, I couldn't get the benefit of what this woman was doing to need a motor. It was like she was wanting to amble around the block like she was riding a bike, but with none of the health benefits other than being outside. So she was sitting motion instead of sitting still.

I can see if you commute, and it's legal to have a motor, and at times you feel too tired to pedal, and so you flip on the motor. I don't know. I think if I wanted a motorized two-wheeler, I'd get a motorcycle.

9. Garilia

Garilia New Member

I know that when I see people (kids mostly) riding motorized scooters and such, they are usually breaking the law when doing so.

Legal status of bicycles
    (Sections 316.003(2), (10) and 316.2065(1), F.S.)

A bicycle is classified as a vehicle. A person in control of a vehicle on a street or highway is a driver. As a driver, a cyclist must follow the traffic rules common to all drivers. As the driver of a bicycle, he must also obey regulations adopted specially for bicycles. A person riding a bicycle has all the rights applicable to any driver, except as to special regulations for bicycles.

Definition of "Bicycle"
    (Section 316.003(2), F.S.)

Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or a similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle.

Comment: A motorized bicycle that satisfies this definition is nevertheless subject to restrictions on sidewalks

Sidewalk riding
    (Section 316.2065(10) and (11), F.S.)

A person propelling a vehicle by human power upon and along a sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, has all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances.

Comment: Sidewalks are not designed for bicycle speeds, but a bicycle propelled by human power may be used except where prohibited by local ordinance (e.g. in the central business districts of many cities). No bicycle may be propelled by other than human power on a sidewalk. Although a cyclist riding on a sidewalk has the rights and duties of a pedestrian, he is still a "bicycle rider" and his bicycle is still a "bicycle". Consequently, laws that pertain to required equipment and to carriage of passengers (see above) are still applicable.

Since a cyclist riding on a sidewalk does not have the duties (or rights) of a driver, he may ride in either direction. (However, it is safer to ride in the direction of traffic, since drivers do not expect cyclists to come from the other direction at driveways and crosswalks. Crash risk is 3 to 4 times as great for sidewalk riders who ride facing roadway traffic as for sidewalk riders who ride in the direction of traffic.)

At a signalized intersection, a sidewalk rider must obey the instructions of any applicable pedestrian control signal. That is, he may start to cross a roadway in a crosswalk only during a steady Walk phase, if one is displayed. If no pedestrian signal is provided, the cyclist may proceed in accordance with the signal indications for the parallel roadway traffic flow (Section 316.075, F.S.).

So when this woman took her motorized vehicle onto the sidewalk she was breaking the law. Same as I was when I rolled through a stop sign.

10. georgec

georgec Member

Don't see the point.
    I have a Motorcycle and a bicycle.

11. Industry_Hack

I have several bicycles, and one motorcycle. I wouldn't mind a 2nd motorcycle though.

12. georgec

georgec Member

I know thats right.
    He who dies with the most toys wins.

13. Industry_Hack

Nah, I've been selling off a lot of toys. I want less overall stuff, more very specific stuff.

14. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

a motor on a bicycle is a form of evil only describable in words that can not be posted online.
    Motorcycles are fine
    bicycles deserve to be respected and loved... what bike wants a motor? NONE
    when i see a kid on a motorized bike i cry and die a little inside, an adult and i just cry.... sometimes while throwing rocks at them!

15. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

Motorized bicycles are something commonly built by tweakers around here. You can't ride anything with a motor in this town with out a M endorsement on your liscence. I know for a fact this is true. Cost me $800 to find out. I used to be really into honda scooters, until my custom build got impounded by the most heinous cop in town. Expensive lesson learned. Small displacement, fuel efficient little scooters are not a good idea in Fremont. Stupid too cuz when I built the thing it was legal to ride it with a regular class c drivers liscence. Now it just sits in my garage waiting for the day I leave this horrible place. What really funny about it is every cop will tell you something different on the subject. Never could get a definite answer about whats legal and whats not.

16. satnspwn

satnspwn Mobile Mechanic

I built one from an engine kit online, and a Schwinn beach cruiser from Target. It was a great way to get around, and the cops never looked twice at me, but I just couldn't deal with all the mechanical failures to use it for long rides. If your going to build one, do it right and get a heavy duty hub kit, and a good chain. I haven't ridden my motorbike in almost a year, but I'll be getting it fixed up this Summer for those quick little rides down the country roads.

17. Industry_Hack

I took the test for my endorsement on an 800lb motorcycle that I had owned for five weeks, and passed on the first try. That was after watching a guy on a Ninja 250 fail. Mad skillz.

18. georgec

georgec Member

Yeah I passed mine after two weeks first try. I only missed one on the written test and the points that I lost on the driving part was for going to slow cause I pulled out on the highway and waited on the cop to to catch up.

19. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well I guess that means I need to hide the electric drill motor in the down tube so Sprocket Girl won't throw rocks at me. Without cheating Id have no chance of keeping up, and even cheating not much chance unless there are motors I could hide with a lot more power than I think.

20. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

i like you but... not to be confused with i like your butt. i guess the drill motor i will not freak out over, it is gas powered bikes that make me sad. not because i want to save the environment. more like, i kinda think bikes are meant to be pedaled.
    of course you are a friend thus you could put a weed eater motor on your bike an i would learn to be okay without. people and friends mean a lot more than taking a stand....