Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a Schwinn coffee and a 50cc 2 stroke gas motor kit. But are the dimensions a good fit for that bike? I want to know before spending$450 for the bike. I looked into it and it looks like no one has yet to motorize a Schwinn coffee.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about an easy way of installing the motor without any need for modifications to the engine compartment I hate having to mod a frame to fit a motor Its too much work for someone like me. I speak of the "v frame" two stroke gas motor kits they make for comon bikes.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
I have seen bikes like that used with no issues though most motored bikers I have run across usually use the old cruiser style frames looks more like a motorcycle that way. If ya get it built up take some pics love to see it

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In most states to a gas motor on a bike makes it a motor vehicle and requires some for of registration, license and insurance to ride on the streets. Electric falls under different rules and even then you might be surprised. In Texas if you put an electric motor on the bike, you are restricted to operating on roads with speed limits below a specific limit. Without the motor no such restriction exists. It is perfectly legal to ride a bicycle on a road with a 55 mph speed limit, but not with an electric bike.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
In most states to a gas motor on a bike makes it a motor vehicle and requires some for of registration, license and insurance to ride on the streets. Electric falls under different rules and even then you might be surprised. In Texas if you put an electric motor on the bike, you are restricted to operating on roads with speed limits below a specific limit. Without the motor no such restriction exists. It is perfectly legal to ride a bicycle on a road with a 55 mph speed limit, but not with an electric bike.

Actually no depending on the size of the motor. Trust me researched the hell out of this already all you need is a standard drivers license if the engine is 50cc or under and most of the 2 strokes are 48cc regardless of them claiming to be 80cc from what I read on that most said the best you can do on those is 66cc anyone claiming it's an 80 don't buy it from them

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In Texas if it has a gas motor of any size, it has to be registered, tag, insurance, safety inspection and though a standard drivers license is enough you have to also have taken the motorcycle written. Same with scooters. If its over 50cc its a motorcycle.

Electric bikes are a bit different here. Those up to a point you can ride with no license or registration as long as the bike can't do over 20 without pedaling. Yet there are also additional limits that can be placed on e bikes. Last time I checked on this in other places have been too long to speak on it with detail

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have set up plans for doing this because I figure that I'll have better luck installing a motor on a new Schwinn than this crappy Taiwan road bike I am trying getting rid of. Does anyone know of any good quality 2 stroke motor kits that are legal in California? I would try the grubby sky hawk motors but they are not legal around here because of the B.S. California C.A.R.B. regulations they have around here.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Good luck on finding a C.A.R.B certified one though I think the newer batch of the motors do meet the EPA crap a lot better. Could always just try it and take chances on it Heck I would play dumb if pulled over just say had no clue LOL :D

·
Banned
430 Posts
You don't need all that jazz to ride a mb or electric bicycle.

The Schwinn Coffee should work, but if you aren't sure, you can measure the bike first, then call a motor vendor. Measure the circumferences of the seat tube and downtube, and the lengths and angles of the main triangle.

You can put a rear mount kit like a staton or dax on it for sure. You can even put that on the front if you want a standard rear rack. Call Duane at bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor to see if he's doing the in-frame kits for the pull-start weeder/scooter engines.

A lot of similar bikes (700c or less commonly, some old standard 26" and 27" road bicycles) have been outfitted with china kits with the stock brackets. http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...7-700c-cross-bike-city-pounder-new-school.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts