Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Specialized Epic full susp. MTB. I have recently been using it to commute to work (3 miles one way). It has 26x2.0 on the front and 26x2.10 on the rear. The more I ride on the road the more I wonder if I can put more of a hybrid or road bike tire on the bike. Would it make a difference in road performance?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I have a Specialized Epic full susp. MTB. I have recently been using it to commute to work (3 miles one way). It has 26x2.0 on the front and 26x2.10 on the rear. The more I ride on the road the more I wonder if I can put more of a hybrid or road bike tire on the bike. Would it make a difference in road performance?
If you are riding with nobbie tires on the road, going to a commuter type slick or semi slick will greatly improve your performance. Your bike will be faster and handle better.

When I used to commute on my mtn bike, I used Continental Town & Countries.

·
Registered
164 Posts
hybrids and road bike tires are a different size than mountain bike tires, but they do make some tires for 26' mountain bike wheels that are more suited to riding on pavement

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went to the local bike shop and picked out a nice tire that had nobbs on the sides for traction in the deep and semi-smooth onroad tred near the center. They work pretty darn well in all sorts of environments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So im thinking I might pick up a cheap road bike for next season so I can have the best of both worlds. I really enjoy riding offroad, but I find it convenient to bike to work were I only live 3 miles away.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
So im thinking I might pick up a cheap road bike for next season so I can have the best of both worlds. I really enjoy riding offroad, but I find it convenient to bike to work were I only live 3 miles away.
Nothin' wrong with havin' two bikes.....or three...or four...................................

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
I can see the logic as well. But, only want one bike to own. Still planning on a Crosstrail or something very similar at xmass. I think after that another set of wheels & tires may be in plan, will have to ride and see.

·
Brit
58 Posts
When you buy road-type tires, take note of the maximum pressure on the sidewall. Some have a max of 50psi, compared to, say 75psi for others. If you can run your off-road tires at a higher pressure, the difference in performance won't be so great.

That said, good road tires have a lower rolling resistance and they'll usually be narrower, of course, which also helps. I used 50psi road tires (26X1.9 I think) for our recent long ride and they were fine, but I'd ridden it on some fatter knobbly tires at higher pressure and it felt fast then, too.

It was a borrowed bike, so I'm afraid I can't remember what tires they were!

Roy

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
The tire I am useing are Kenda Komfort 26x1.95 (50-559) model K841a - 010 max psi 65
I think the next set will be, Michelin city trecking 26x1.85
My.02

·
sandlynx
32 Posts
"Nothin' wrong with havin' two bikes.....or three...or four..................................."
hophead: 6 works for me. Lookin' for 7. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Take a look at those Schwabe Big Apples! Nice tires! I put a set of 29ers on my bike and they are great! They also come in 26" sizes as well. Little pricy at $45.00 a pop! But well worth it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts