Mountain Bike on the Road

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by nhcop, Sep 14, 2009.

1. nhcop

nhcop New Member

I have a Specialized Epic full susp. MTB. I have recently been using it to commute to work (3 miles one way). It has 26x2.0 on the front and 26x2.10 on the rear. The more I ride on the road the more I wonder if I can put more of a hybrid or road bike tire on the bike. Would it make a difference in road performance?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you are riding with nobbie tires on the road, going to a commuter type slick or semi slick will greatly improve your performance. Your bike will be faster and handle better.

When I used to commute on my mtn bike, I used Continental Town & Countries.
    [​IMG]

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

hybrids and road bike tires are a different size than mountain bike tires, but they do make some tires for 26' mountain bike wheels that are more suited to riding on pavement

4. elementfiftyfour

elementfiftyfour New Member

I just went to the local bike shop and picked out a nice tire that had nobbs on the sides for traction in the deep and semi-smooth onroad tred near the center. They work pretty darn well in all sorts of environments.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What would you consider then a mountain bike tire with road type tread. Not a hybrid tire?

6. nhcop

nhcop New Member

So im thinking I might pick up a cheap road bike for next season so I can have the best of both worlds. I really enjoy riding offroad, but I find it convenient to bike to work were I only live 3 miles away.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Nothin' wrong with havin' two bikes.....or three...or four...................................

8. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I'm startin to see the wisdom in this....

9. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I can see the logic as well. But, only want one bike to own. Still planning on a Crosstrail or something very similar at xmass. I think after that another set of wheels & tires may be in plan, will have to ride and see.

10. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

When you buy road-type tires, take note of the maximum pressure on the sidewall. Some have a max of 50psi, compared to, say 75psi for others. If you can run your off-road tires at a higher pressure, the difference in performance won't be so great.

That said, good road tires have a lower rolling resistance and they'll usually be narrower, of course, which also helps. I used 50psi road tires (26X1.9 I think) for our recent long ride and they were fine, but I'd ridden it on some fatter knobbly tires at higher pressure and it felt fast then, too.

It was a borrowed bike, so I'm afraid I can't remember what tires they were!

Roy

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

The tire I am useing are Kenda Komfort 26x1.95 (50-559) model K841a - 010 max psi 65
    I think the next set will be, Michelin city trecking 26x1.85
    My.02

12. sandlynx

sandlynx sandlynx

"Nothin' wrong with havin' two bikes.....or three...or four..................................."
    hophead: 6 works for me. Lookin' for 7. ;)

13. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Take a look at those Schwabe Big Apples! Nice tires! I put a set of 29ers on my bike and they are great! They also come in 26" sizes as well. Little pricy at $45.00 a pop! But well worth it!

14. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Michelin Country Rock -- 26x1.75, about $12 each.

15. topgun514

topgun514 Guest

for the price of getting new tires, rims, tubes, you can find a crappy commuter bike.