Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some injuries I have received over the years, I ride a Specialized Mt bike but with slick tires. I have always had front suspension and test shocks, simply to take bumps and curbs more lightly. Are these necessary for when I go looking for a new bike?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
First of all are you going to ride this bike on the road or trails? The next question is where are your injuries. IF I had to guess it sounds like back problems. A suspension really doesn't help that much riding a mtb on roads. The trick with me is fit and finding the right bike. For some a recumbent bike is the answer. Others a recumbent bike doesn't work at all. For some an upright seating position helps and others it transfers the impact to just the wrong places. There are some bikes that help with knees as well.

My advise would be to test ride enough bikes to find the right riding position and fit before you worry about suspensions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Suspension is nice on an aluminum bike, to quell the harsh ride . But it does add weight, and this can be counter productive . Finding the right bike is the best choice . Getting it fitted properly is another great idea .

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
You may want to consider a flat-bar road bike (sometimes grouped with hybrids or called a fitness bike). Agree with the other comment, it's all about a good fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts