Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am kinda new to biking and don't know much about it. I was wondering if any of you could help me learn about bikes. But the real question is I am looking to purchasing a Mountain bike my limit is around $500 I know it's not going to get the best bike but still. Thanks ahead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Extreme, welcome to the site! Where are you located? $500 will go further in certain places than others. What kind of mountain biking do you plan to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poolie said:
Extreme, welcome to the site! Where are you located? $500 will go further in certain places than others. What kind of mountain biking do you plan to do?
Thanks! I'm located in Utah. Mountain biking hmm. Idk what kinds are there like what do you mean?? Like I hope to get a bike that has good shocks. I want to get good at stuff like that like going into Moab and hitting rocks and getting air kinda thing.
 

·
Two skinny J's
Joined
·
21,443 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
For a full suspension bike in that category, I'm afraid you won't be able to get a lot cheaper (new) without starting to sacrifice quality. I've seen them for $7k to $9k.

If you're just getting into mountain biking, you might want to think about a nice cross country (XC) hard tail bike to begin with. Off the top of my head I don't one to point you at but you should be able to find one close to your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poolie said:
For a full suspension bike in that category, I'm afraid you won't be able to get a lot cheaper (new) without starting to sacrifice quality. I've seen them for $7k to $9k.

If you're just getting into mountain biking, you might want to think about a nice cross country (XC) hard tail bike to begin with. Off the top of my head I don't one to point you at but you should be able to find one close to your price range.
Okay thanks could you give me a link??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
One option you have, and I hesitate to even mention it someone just getting into bikes is http://bikesdirect.com/ I have no experience with them, but they offer dirt cheap prices. The caveat is that you'll have to partially assembly and set the bike up yourself. If you're mechanically inclined it's probably in your grasp... Just wanted to throw that out. Personally I wouldn't go that route. I'd be looking around the house for something to sell on Craigslist to add to my bike fund :)

Is there a bike shop anywhere near you? If so stop in a strike up a conversation with them. They may have a last year model or know of a good used bike. Used bike off CL are tricky if you don't know what you're looking at. You could be buying someone else s junk. A used bike from a shop is probably okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Poolie said:
One option you have, and I hesitate to even mention it someone just getting into bikes is http://bikesdirect.com/ I have no experience with them, but they offer dirt cheap prices. The caveat is that you'll have to partially assembly and set the bike up yourself. If you're mechanically inclined it's probably in your grasp... Just wanted to throw that out. Personally I wouldn't go that route. I'd be looking around the house for something to sell on Craigslist to add to my bike fund :)

Is there a bike shop anywhere near you? If so stop in a strike up a conversation with them. They may have a last year model or know of a good used bike. Used bike off CL are tricky if you don't know what you're looking at. You could be buying someone else s junk. A used bike from a shop is probably okay.
Okay. A mad dogs cycle is near me. Would that work??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Okay. A mad dogs cycle is near me. Would that work??
I'm in Atlanta so don't know anything about them, but Googled them and it looks like a pretty cool store. They're a Trek dealer. Maybe they'll have some closeouts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poolie said:
I'm in Atlanta so don't know anything about them, but Googled them and it looks like a pretty cool store. They're a Trek dealer. Maybe they'll have some closeouts.
Okay thanks. What do you think about Trek??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
I like Treks. I have a Gary Fisher signature X-Caliber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Don't know how close you are to Salt Lake City, but there's a Performance Bicycle there. (check out their website http://performancebike.com/). You can buy from them both online and store front. They have a pretty wide array of prices on their bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Poolie said:
Don't know how close you are to Salt Lake City, but there's a Performance Bicycle there. (check out their website http://performancebike.com/). You can buy from them both online and store front. They have a pretty wide array of prices on their bikes.
Okay that sounds good thanks. I'm about 30ish minutes about its not that bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Okay that sounds good thanks. I'm about 30ish minutes about its not that bad.
I don't know if Performance does it our not, but many times a store will offer you a discount on accessories you buy the day of bike purchase. They usually have a good assortment of helmets, gloves, etc in the store as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Poolie said:
I don't know if Performance does it our not, but many times a store will offer you a discount on accessories you buy the day of bike purchase. They usually have a good assortment of helmets, gloves, etc in the store as well.
Okay thanks
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top