Mountain Biking Mecca

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by hewlett, Jul 30, 2009.

1. hewlett

hewlett Guest

It has been said that Moab is the Mountain biking Mecca. Do you agree?

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I dont know that i completely agree. I think it depends on what you really like to ride as well. It is pretty sweet but i like a lot of the East coast riding close to me as well. Have you ever ridden there?

3. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

BC.
    Whistler, North Shore, Fraser Valley trails, Interior, Okanagan.

Go.

4. Brent

Brent Shore Rat

My back yard is the Mecca the North Shore where we still ride The Shore no changes!

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I prefer a climate and topography of a locale like Big Sur personally over Moab.

6. nachos

nachos Guest

I prefer desert riding and forests

7. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

Well I dont know about for bikes but for Jeeps Moab is definately the Mecca

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

You prefer Moab over the Rockies or Rubicon?

9. itself

itself New Member

Nothing like Whistler/Blacomb Mtn...I biked it in the mid 90s, it took over an hour to get down from the top. My hands were killing me from braking so much and what a high! Got on the Gondola at half price and did it again.

The Canadian Rockies are simply amazing..

Lisa

10. powderbock

powderbock Guest

First biked Moab in 1992. Slickrock was amazing, but I had nothing to compare it too. Have done the 24 hours races there a couple of times more recently. It was the Mecca in the day, but now that the sport has taken off, hard to say. Fruita, just a short drive a way in Colorado is supposed to be awesome and the new Mecca.
    In 1993 went to Slatyfork, West Virginia which according to Outside magazine was the "Mecca in the East" at the time. Totally different riding, but awesome, and probably my favorite.
    Went downhilling in Whistler last summer, again awesome. If the trails around you don't get your adrenaline up, I would definately road trip to any of these spots. Cool people, great rides and great beers at all of them.