Mounted GPS?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by PowerWhl, Jun 14, 2009.

1. PowerWhl

PowerWhl Guest

Anybody running a mounted GPS? If so what does your setup look like?

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Here's a pic of my bike with my Garmin Edge 305 mounted on the stem. CIMG0025.jpg

3. Mystery

Mystery Guest

How much is a cheap GPS now a days?

4. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

I run my Edge on the Stems of my mountain and commuter bikes.

5. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

You can get a good eTrex or something like it for under $200, but the ones you might want would be $250-300, for better screens (easier to read) and whatnot.

I plan on either getting a mount for my Garmin Nuvi 205 for my bike (would look silly, I know), or getting something like the eTrex and mounting it on the neck/bars.

6. jocww

jocww New Member

I have a forerunner 305 I paid 200 for it. I have the cadence and hr for it. On my r500 I can just wrap it around my handle bars. On my scott I have the garmin aero bar kit with a polar hr watch thing and works pretty well weighs a bit though.

7. Bebop

Bebop Guest

Don't some telephones come with built in GPS now? Is that extra to access it? I thought they all had it anyway.

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yup, mine has it. Whether or not you are charged extra probably depends on your plan.

9. robapp

robapp Guest

are you looking for a turn by turn GPS and display it on the screen or something that just tracks where you have been? I use an app on my blackberry called the velocomputer that is gps enabled and allows me to output my ride data into google maps and earth.

if you do have a turn by turn gps and it does show maps in realtime, what happens when you go onto trails and smaller unmapped roads? Just wondering.

10. Java1Guy

Java1Guy New Member

It's true, phones such as the iPhone 3GS have built-in GPS and there are good apps for tracking your rides: RunKeeper and MapMyRide.

One issue I've had though is my Garmin eTrex HCX does not have a handlebar mount! I bought one at REI, but the HCX has a memory card slot which causes an indentation in the back cover. Surprise! The handlebar mount replacement cover does NOT have that indentation and is not compatible with my unit. :(

So what I usually do is just turn on tracking and download the route later. Good for seeing where you've been, not so good for figuring out where you are or where you want to go.

Cheers, Mark

11. Le-Peleton

Le-Peleton Guest

cheap Garmin

Extreme Outdoor selling water damaged box 305 on Ebay for around £169, i just bought one, buy now, and the box is fine and the 305 works fine

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I use a hand held Garmin etrex Legend meant for hiking. On my bike bars I've carved a foam block that takes the device in a friction fit manner. This little block of foam is tied to the bars with simple nylon cord. It's caveman style but works beautifully.

With this set up I get every speed and distance and average speed pieces of data a rider could want. Plus I get the mapping feature to watch my progress if I want that. It has elevation change numbers too. These are not acutely accurate but do show if you are going up or going down and by how much.

This setup is not aero and a tad heavier than required but I only use it for training. While racing I do not use any speedometer or watch. The last thing I want to think about is whether I'm on time or behind time. I race by feel only and with a berserk mind. I cannot think or do any figuring while going all-out. A GPS or a timepiece is a waste at such times.

This setup I use is also cheap. The Garmin I have retails in US for about 125 dollars. Foam block was scrounged.

13. burntoshine

burntoshine Guest

i just got a mount for my garmin nuvi 205 in the mail today ($8.99 + free shipping on ebay). put it on, did a short test ride; it's great!

i don't think it looks silly at all.

14. dcswan

dcswan New Member

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and I made my own mount for it. I took the reflector off it's mount, and filed down one edge of it so it would fit in between the two ridges on the outside of the battery door. Then I used super glue to attach it, not really using the GPS for auto travel so didn't mind the mount being on there for good. Then I used another mount, I think this one had a reflector on it as well but it normally fit on the handlebar but I it still works on the stem. It doesn't close all the way, but really didmn't need to since I used a piece of rubber between the mount and stem and then a black zip tie to secure it. Put a screw through (from the side) of the gps mount to the stem mount and there it is! Hopefully I explained it straight forward enough so anyone interested in making one can understand what I did. Wish I had some better pics of just the mounts, might have to take some if anyone is interested just let me know. But for now here is a pic of how it looks mounted. By the way, it works great for being homemade out of leftover pieces. Has enough "bounce" so it isn't too rigid and not so much that you can't look at it from time to time. Besides, if you're paying more attention to it than looking at what's in front of ya, you don't need to be out riding! LOL

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  15. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Don't have a pic handy, but my 305 is mounted atop the stem like Xela's.