Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought. Anybody wear a sports mouth guard or anything else for teeth protection, in case of a spill? I figure, a little road rash never really hurt anyone, but multiple-$K's of dental work would be unpleasant and expensive.

Or is the only answer, If you have to fall, be sure you dont land on your teeth or jaw?

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
hmm... never thought about it. you make a good point. might be a possibility.
do you wear one?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't wear one. I don't, but I never really thought about it. I never heard of or saw anyone that wears one, but then again we wore football helmets when we rode bikes as a kid at times. I can think of at least two times the face mask kept me from eating dirt. Just because no one else does it, doesn't mean its not a good idea.

Go Rangers. Boo Red Sox

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
No. Never. Ever. EVER will I wear one and please don't bring it up or the nanny state will make them mandatory.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's your head and mouth Nigal. If you choose to not to wear a helmet that's up to you. Freedom means the freedom to make a mistake if that's what it turns out to be. It doesn't take much to fracture a skull and cause severe brain injury. I am the first to admit the data is incomplete. We do not know how many times a bike crash happens when someone falls and gets up unhurt. We don't know how many times someone was hurt and didn't seek professional medical treatment to recover. We don't know how many times a helmet might have saved a life, but we also do not know how many times it would have made no difference. We also do not know how many times a cyclist died, when a helmet might have saved a life, and we also do not know how many times when the injuries would have been fatal regardless.

We do know that on a number of occasions every day, and impact to the head was lessened by a helmet. Sometimes it results in little to no injury. Sometimes it prevents life altering, maiming injuries. We do know that a helmet that fits well does no harm in an accident. There is no restriction to visibility. The current ones are far better ventilated and actually are comfortable. They are cheap, (less than $100) and the main gripe I hear now is that they don't think they look cool in one. How cool would you look if someone had to wipe the drool off your chin because you couldn't?

I see several guys around here that will not ride with a helmet. They are free to make that choice just as you are. I don't try to convince them anymore. I tried once to give them something to think about and then left them alone. They speak and I wave and not a problem. I only try to educate, not dictate. I and no one else has that right. I have seen other cyclist politely try to do the same thing. So far their luck has held out and I sincerely hope it continues that way.

There is one thing they don't know that every one else does. Every single one of them is a Fred. Well there is one Doris, but I guess that's no surprise either. What ever choice you make, I just hope its one you can live with.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
Um, we're talking mouth guards, right?

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
never worn one. Idle thoughts after a dentist visit this week.

I have seen someone riding with something that looks more like a motorcycle helmet, chin protector type construction.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well I actually thought the conversation had switched to helmets. grin

Now I don't wear a mouth guard either. Yet if I rode more back trails, or did bmx or any other the other stuff that had air time, I'd think really hard about it. She has actually come up with a good idea. Some of the studies I think it was with football in mind, had mouth protection as helping to prevent concussions.

Though I wouldn't be as quick to wear one to prevent broken teeth, if it helped prevent concussions I would tolerate that. I suspect its about like a helmet too. Once you get used to it, its not a big deal. Maybe there will come a time I will want to protect my tooth, and if I were competing in the x games I would. I just don't feel the risk, cost, reward warrants it for a street ride on a lazy back road, but I also am fully aware that it will be me paying the dentist.

I agree with you though on it not being mandatory, and in my opinion that should apply to helmets as well. Every time someone tries to legislate common sense, it NEVER works out very well. The longer I live the more I have become to know that Will Rogers was right. Common sense ain't so common, and in a legislative body is practically non existent.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
It's a double bladed sword really. On one hand I would look hard core cycling with my mouth protector (bright yellow to show how I Live Strong) in but when I stop to talk the chicks I attract I'd have to pull the protector out which will be slime covered and have big hunks of Power Bar stuck to them because I don't even take the protector out top eat cause that's just how hard I roll. I don't know, I'll wait until it becomes social norm before taking the plunge and then I'll buckle and bow to peer pressure. LOL!

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
I wouldn't wear one. Even when I landed on my face in a fall (breaking my cheek bone and doing some nerve damage to that side of my face) I still didn't have any dental injuries.

I believe that they could happen but the likelihood is so small that it isn't worth the constant inconvenience of wearing one. Sort of like knee/shin/elbow pads would have saved me quite a bit of rash from various falls had I been wearing them but they would have been a huge discomfort the other 99.9% of the time.

I wear a helmet, I use rear blinky lights, I try to ride well within the limits of my ability and road/trail conditions and I feel that is enough. If I were riding downhill, BMX, or freeride I might consider it but for road, MUP, and light XC riding I don't feel like I need one.

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
Does this fall under Rule 52?

·
Shore Rat
383 Posts
Mouth Guards are for concussion protection not to protect you teeth,I where on when freeriding but not during other riding.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Only mouth protection I sometime wish I had was a mesh that covered the mouth so I don't get an untended meal from a bug!!

After 40 plus years of riding I never had a need, nor knew anyone who could of benefitted from a mouth guard in accidents. A mouth guard would hamper breathing properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts