Moved up Google Ranks for Bike Forum

Discussion in 'TwoSpoke Announcements & Comments' started by TxCyclist, Jan 4, 2010.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

It's almost impossible to have a successful website without great Google rankings and I just noticed today we are finally 5th for the term 'bike forum'

Thanks to all those who have linked to us and continue to do so! I think it will be hard as hell to move up more with BikeForums, MTBR and Roadbikereview there but I'm going to keep on trying.

If you have a website or know someone with a website please link to us. Also signature links on other forums help a lot as well.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

That's impressive. While TCP members can no longer post on that forum, they can still edit their signatures and add a link there.

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Awesome news!!!!!

4. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Good news but..... I think it's in bad taste for a forum admin to brag about that for some reason. I think it has to do with an admin on another forum that I've posted to- rather than focusing on the forum, tends to focus on the buzz about the forum, to the point that if we aren't using forum features he thinks are just OMG HOW GREAT, he starts lecturing the members.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Well consider me in bad taste because I am proud. To get where we are in ranks means we have;

1.) Quality content.
    2.) Quality links to us.

Those are directly related to the members here and all they contribute. So I see it as a great accomplishment for the community as a whole.

6. Industry_Hack

Mr. Hickie, (can I call you Doo?)

Having been the admin on both Bikeforums.net and TheCyclePeople.com, I can certainly understand Dean's pride. All the cleverness in the world cannot make up for loyal members and quality posts. Bikeforums got a big boost thanks to the Kryptonite/Bic debacle, which added a huge amount of momentum to its growth. Without that, it might not be where it is now. TheCyclePeople was based on the poor execution of some great ideas. In 18 months, they had less members/posts than this site did in six months.

Dean has found a formula that works, and has been fortunate that the growing membership is an exceptionally well-rounded, mostly civil group. With all I know about forums, and the $$ that I've seen generated, I still wouldn't want to start a new site. Props to Dean for taking that risk.

7. Doohickie

I knew as soon as I posted that it would not be well-received but I still felt it needed to be said. Congrats on the good ranking, but.... let's keep the posts about bikes and not about rankings and I, for one anyways, will be happy. :thumbsup:

8. Industry_Hack

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was not well-received. And I bet that Dean takes that into consideration too. And for the record, while I was happy to post about milestones, you won't find posts by me promoting any metal-based usergroup as anything more than greed on behalf of a certain site's new owners.

Dang, their active members has dropped considerably.

9. Doohickie

Success has not been good to us.

Or.... it's just too freakin' cold outside to be talkin' about bicycles!

10. Industry_Hack

Quite the contrary. Forums get busier in the winter. Sadly, they also get snarkier.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

This isn't in one of the cycling forums. If you don't like it don't open it. I could tell by the tittle of the thread "Moved up Google Ranks for Bike Forum " what this thread was going to be about.
    Congrats Dean. Why shouldn't your be proud of your accomplishment? :) There's not a clapping smiley but if there was you would have one.