Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine I ride with on FB posted this about one of his friends that recently moved to Utah. This is a crazy story that I could understand in a crit race such as that Knee just entered in but this is ridiculous. Safety is EVERY ONES responsibility.

I can say I saw and was almost part of a similar incident in the Cap2Cap century ride ealier this year. We were riding with the JRVS velo club ( yes hanging on for dear life ) and a poorly marked turned into mayhem as 20 or so of us got bunched up as the peleton leader realized he missed it and got on the binders hard to make the turn and sent a few of us into ditches and scrambling to hold on!

Woman in charity bike ride seriously injured in hit-and-run

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
I hope she makes a full and quick recovery. Also that the jerk who caused the accident is identified and appropriately sanctioned. To cause someone to wreck and then leave them unconscious in the road is so wildly unacceptable it boggles the mind. Seems we have here yet another reason to ride with a rear-facing video camera. Sad.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Didn't watch the video due to my current environemnt BUT I will say this.

I think sanctions should be imposed on people that do this kind of thing during charity rides, etc.

Have you ever met a "pathlete?" These are people that turn every ride on a bike path, MUP, whatever in to a race. When they pull up to you, "it's on!" to them. But, the other runner/cyclist/whatever never intended it to be a race.

Here's the kicker.

I think (IMHO) cyclists are competitive by nature. In some way or another we compete, be it against another person, the clock, yourself, whatever. I also think (IMHO) when you get someone like the guy that caused the crash to up the tempo, other people are going to "take the bait." Not only should be he prosecuted as a motor vehicle operator, he should be banished from other MS sponsored events. I've found on our group rides, if it isn't a hammer ride to start with, when someone does stuff like that, we let them pop off the front. They usually slow down as it seems most do not want to ride alone.

In racing (Rola, I think your son races dirt track?) there are rules officially and there are unspoken rules. In bicycle racing, there are governed rules for stuff like what happened on this charity ride. How often are they enforced? I'm too new to say. I will say though, that when I was racing CCS motorcycles, if you were a jerk on the track, other people in the pits had a nice habit of blackballing you enough where you either a) didn't want to come back or b) change your tune the next time out.

I'm sorry this woman was riding for a good cause and suffered a bad fate at the hands of someone else being reckless. He should be drawn, tarred, feathered and made to listen to Whitney Houston/Celine Dion/Paula Cole repeatedly until the message has sunk in that his behavior will not be tolerated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts