MTB double

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by IanHighfield, Dec 24, 2009.

1. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Indy Hack, did you mention in an earlier post about owning or riding a titanium mountain bike made for two? I've never seen a twin MTB.

You'd have to be a trusting soul to sit the back of that thing on a bad downhill. Not sure I could give up the wheel and let someone else kill me.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

We heard that a lot. It takes trust, especially when you're on a pretty capable bike, and speed isn't an issue. Here it is with a dual crown and 203mm titanium brakes. We also ran a Marzocchi DJ for the light stuff, and swapped out the ti discs for 203mm XT ones.

It's a 17/15 with six S&S couplers, 27" custom titanium bars, and the drivetrain was either XT/XTR or SRAM X9 at the time of the photo. Nearly every nut and bolt was replaced with titanium or aluminum, which kept the weight around 38lbs. Sold it not too long ago for $3k.

Attached Files:

3. stealthammer

stealthammer Still spinnin'.....

Santana has been building them since the early '90s. They have outstanding ride qualities and are strong and stiff when built properly. I'd take it over aluminum any day!

I wish I had seen Industry Hack's was up for sale! I would have snapped it up in an instant...... :hate:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  4. Industry_Hack

If I ever build another one, it will either be a titanium hardtail again, or one of these:

[​IMG]

Independent coasting!

[​IMG]

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Thanks for the photos, Indy. Is that a 4-sprocket front drive in the last picture? Isn't there a point when you get off and walk?

6. Industry_Hack

Blasphemy!

7. bear-hunter-ninja

bear-hunter-ninja New Member