MTB Tires:

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by COSMTBFAN, Jul 23, 2009.

1. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

I have found a great tire in the Maxxis Ignitor. I have been through 3 sets of tires so far, with "under whelming" results!! My first set, that came on the bike new, was a Kenda set, Nevagal & Blue Groove. They were in a word...JUNK!! I replaced them long before they were ready to be replaced. The rear would spin on steep accents, and the front tracked poorly. I picked up a set of Continental Verticals, and they were good, aside from some slippage of the rear on the steeper accents, other that that, they were a great set of tires. They tracked very well, in varying conditions, and felt very predictable. I got about 1000 miles out of the rear, and I am still running the front, which has at least 95% of the tread left. As I stated, I replaced the rear with a Maxxis Ignitor, and I have put about 60 miles on it so far. So far the tire is very good. The steepest of accents barely phase it. I can transfer my weight to the rear, and the tire bites like mad!! I have decided to put one on the front when the Conti needs replacing, which could be awhile!! If you are looking for a great all around X-country tire, take a look at the Maxxis Ignitor. I picked it up for lees than $50.00, and that is with a Kevlar bead, so I thought that was a great price!! HTH guys!!

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I found the opposite to be true. I bought a set of Ignitors to replace a worn out set of Nevagals and didn't like them much. They were fine on hardpack and in dry conditions, but did not hook up well if it was damp. They seem to be made of a harder rubber which is great for longevity, but not so much for traction.

The only down sides that I've experienced with the Nevagal Stick-e's is that they do wear out quickly and the 2.1's have thin sidewalls. I have never tried the DTC version which I expect would last longer. The 2.3" and larger Nevagals as well as the UST versions have much stronger sidewalls. I run 2.3" on my On One and 2.5" on My Slayer. Both these bikes are mostly ridden in the rocks and I have yet to have a tire fail.

Kinda curious--Which Nevagal were you running Stick-e or DTC?

3. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

2.35", so DTC I'd say, but not sure. I live in CO, so mud is basically non existent. My primary riding surface is decomposing granite, and the tire performs great in that terrain!!

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I rode the front range in CO a couple of weeks ago, specifically Hall Ranch, White ranch, and Walker Ranch. My 2.35" Stick-e's performed flawlessly on my On One Inbred.

If that's the kind of terrain that you ride, the Ignitor is probably a better choice. I can see going through a lot of Nevagals out there. Back East where I do most of my riding, the Nevagal is the best performer that I have come across so far.

5. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

Good point, if I ever get out that way to do some riding, I'll know what tires to look at!!

6. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I'm not a fan of the Ignitors, but my buddy is. I sold him my set after trying them, and finding that they were like pedaling through sand. He loves them!

So, it's proof -- different strokes for different folks!

FWIW, Hutch Spiders have been 'berry berry guud to me'!