Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... Can anybody expalin what is the difference between a mountain bike helmet and a road bike helmet? :confused: I don't see significant differences in the designs in the catalogues. The biggest difference I see is the addition of a visor.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Functionally, there pretty much the same. The visor is probably the biggest difference. I ride road & mtn with a mtn bike helmet. I commit multiple roadie faux pas since I ride my full Campy Bianchi road bike while wearing mtn shoes, a mtn helmet, and often times (gasp) a Camelbak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's kinda what I thought. Thanks!

As for the faux pas... I always say go with what works (and in my case, what is cheaper). I ride with a MTB helmet (purchased on sale) and an Army issued ACU pattern Camel Back as well. Don't have the MTB shoes, but I have had the same riding cleats for 14 years. They just never seem to wear out!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just another ploy for the helmet companies to get more money. :D There are some differences but not a lot. When i ride my road bike i always use my Giro Xen. Whatever works, as long as you are actually wearing it who cares.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find that most of the higher end road helmets, (Giro Atmos, Bell Sweep... Etc..) have more vents than the MTB helmets. I also think the road helmet has a more agressive look. But, thats just my opinion.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I would say that the major difference is style though there are a couple of differences. For example, road helmets tend to pay specific attention to their profile to limit vision obtrusion's when in the drops. They tend to have more vents to keep you cooler with the higher speeds of a road bike, and in many cases, spending more can get you a little bit of a more comfortable helmet.

The practical truth of the matter is that most people get "road" helmets because of style (one that I admittedly prefer and use for both road and mountain riding). As long as you are comfortable with your helmet, you have the right one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts