Multi to Single Gear

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by Keith, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

I have a vintage Schwinn Varisty I would like to convert from a multi to single speed bike.

Do I need to remove both gearsets and either buy or modify them down to a single gear or should I just adjust the chain and leave all the gears but fixed on a single setting.

2. water

water Guest

I have ridden a bike like this before, if you get going down a hill you have to stick your legs out to keep the pedals from hitting the back of your legs is this correct? Maybe you could get a tire off another bike similarly sized and slightly bend the back frame mount area outwards/inwards to fit it

3. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

You are thinking of a fixed gear bike. Most single speeds are still a freewheel style bike meaning when you stop pedaling the rear wheel keeps turning without the pedals moving (has to do with the style hub). A fixed gear bike, still a single speed, uses a different rear hub so if the rear wheel is moving so is the crankset. Not something I would recommend to your basic cyclist.

Never try and bend your frame in or out to fit a different wheel. Your frame was designed for a specific wheel and shouldn't be modified unless your willing to risk damaging your bike, or yourself:D

to the OP, if you are just gonna adjust your limit screws to make it a SS why not just ride it as is and dont shift? You could possibly use your rear wheel if it is a cassette and not a freewheel style. You can just break the cassette apart and get some cheap spacers from your LBS and put one cog back one. The front will be a little trickier depeind on the crankset you have. Let us know and we can help you out i am sure. Good luck

4. trx1

trx1 New Member

i tore mine apart and turned it into a SS/CB model. good way to learn more about ideas, and the bike in general
    pic of mine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010